Muscovy laying/brooding

KWAK

Crowing
14 Years
Feb 2, 2009
Michigan
Right now I've got 3 pairs of muscovies. The three females have hatched outducklings the last few years for their previous owner, but I'm wondering if I'll get any ducklings out of them this year. Two of them are almost 5 years old and one is about 4. I've had muscovies before but I can't remember when they usually start laying eggs for the year.

Wish I had an answer for you, but I would imagine in would be around April in your neck of the woods, but I'm only guessing. Mine, at least one of them, has been laying every couple of days now for about 2-3 weeks, but I really don't expect any real egg laying to begin here in central Florida until around mid February if it is like it was last year for the Muscovys. Only got one egg today and it will be breakfast tomorrow.

As far as the age goes, I would imagine you should get fertile eggs this year with no problem and the ducks should go broody with ease too.

Best of luck,

Bob

Muscovy's can lay year round, actually may be not far up north but some do, mine certainly lay bunches everyday.

Its all about them being comfortable and relaxed if they are happy and know that there safe they should lay , also haveing nesting boxes encourages them to lay as long as they think it's safe.

Muscovy's can lay year round, actually may be not far up north but some do, mine certainly lay bunches everyday.

Its all about them being comfortable and relaxed if they are happy and know that there safe they should lay , also haveing nesting boxes encourages them to lay as long as they think it's safe.
We're considered mid south and mine stop laying in Oct and haven't started back yet.

I think it's great yours do but for those of us in the dead of winter? nope. Mine stop by October and resume usually by Feb though last winter was such a wreak it was March before they did... and mine will never use nestboxes they are very creative in their 'nesting' spots lol mine are quite happy too i cannot stop the darn things from going broody! gotta slow those girls down sometimes though ;)

OP Generally mine return each February, that said again to repeat myself the one year it was March and that was after the "Epic" winter .. No one has yet, this winter is odd.. super cold, then mild.. then super cold.. not much snow.. basically complete opposite of the disaster of last winter.

Back
Top Bottom