Mutations among yellow golden pheasants

Please stay on topic, this thread is not supposed to be about the preservation of red goldens...it has been discussed to exhaustion, and we understand the need. This thread is strictly about yellow goldens and the possibility of the existence of mutation or breeding within them.

From my understanding the pics I posted are of a bird that was hatched from normal yellow goldens.

Last edited:
I'm a little confused. Isn't the yellow golden a mutant itself? Although I've never raised the species but have only researched on them, it's my understanding that the golden pheasant (or red golden pheasant as people call them) is the original species. But I guess if you were to view the yellow golden in it's own separate category, and if I had to answer your question, then could a mutation of the yellow golden pheasant be a peach golden pheasant?

yellow is a mutation and nobody knows how the peach came about...ive met people that say they hung out with the original guy who got the first peach...his name was louie...and he would put all his different stock in one unit during the winter months and then out came a peach

As I mentioned tony, this is not a discussion of man vs nature, we understand your position, and I agree with you on it. However, it was not about red goldens, only yellow golden or possible mutations despite whatever their derivation.

Yellow golden is a mutation, but like many cultivated mutations, changes can still occur to cause further mutation - liked (or disliked as in Tony's opinion) and visually enjoyed by many. As for peach, it may be a little unknown as to its actual origin, but it could be possible that yellow goldens are in its genetic background. There are many ways to get new colours. For example, salmon goldens are the combination of yellow goldens and dark throated goldens over more than one generation (F2 generation bred to itself to produce double copies of both mutations into a small percentage of offspring). Mahogany golden are said to be dark throated cinnamon goldens. I've heard speculation of cinnamon and yellow goldens used to produce peach (a theory I would be willing to attempt). Assuming the two mutations do not occupy the exact same spot in the genetic code, they can be combined. It would be interesting to know for sure what that combo would look like. The other mutations like silver and tangerine(not sure if any even exist any more) have fuzzy and speculative genetic history of rumours of cross species and multiple species breeding to accomplish this.

Last edited:
See there is no F1 yellow golden or mutation anywhere.That is where people get lost.The F anything status derives from wild caught birds.Birds caught from the wild have F1 status and their young get the F2 and so on.That's where I refer to the red golden.
In N.H.,Tony.

that's correct I have been to a place and they said they had f2 reds and f2 different stock and I asked for the paperwork and they showed me there...reds came from china..right on the paperwork

Back
Top Bottom