Mute Swan population to be killed!!!! Has anyone else heard this?

I still dont think they should just be shot like that, like they don't deserve a life
sad.png
i find it very sad and unfair to them. It was humans that made the mistake of letting them free and introducing them to the lakes (accidentally or on purpose) , now we should find a more responsible solution to stop the problem (not just annihilating all of them like like inanimate objects) . Killing them is just awful. Although my idea is almost surely not going to go very far I felt it needed to be said. There is really nothing I can do and i really dont have the right to say its someone elses problem that lives there, and let them keep destroying the lakes. But i just really wish an local organization could be set up to set up sanctuaries where they can live, maybe same-gender to prevent another problem... they are beautiful animals, just like the trumpeters, and share have many humanlike qualities. They nurture their young and watch over them until they are fully grown and old enough to find their own mate. They also mate for life, even sometimes getting a "divorce". I dont think a creature likes that deserves to be killed in such a cruel manner.

Last edited:
read all the links.
They arent just going out and shooting all them.
They are trying to find humane ways to control them where possible. One way they are working on them, though very slow is nest sterilizations.
They kill the eggs, but leave them in the nest so the hen will go full incubation on them and really lower her chances of laying another clutch. If they were being heartless about it, they'd just shoot her off the nest and stomp the eggs into the mud.

I agree, I hate to see them all be killed off too. No it's not their fault, they are just doing what mute swans do.
I really dont believe their is a group large enough to take on the actual biomass involved here though. Again read all the links. This is not just one location with a problem, they are many many states , especially in the north east and great lakes areas. Their large lake reservoirs are just loaded down with literally thousands of these birds.
so when you add all the locations up, you are talking a massive massive amount of foreign birds that now have to be dealt with.
If the public hadnt have been so hard headed years ago when they first wanted to start control of them, we wouldnt have this big of a problem now. They spent years in Federal Courts over it. Some times people with the best intents do the most damage to a species....

Why can't they just catch them and relocate them to RESPECTABLE BREEDERS or educators to teach the public about releasing non-native animals instead of hitting them in the head!!!!!!!
somad.gif

that's right toejam

again over all we atlking a population explosion, best estimates in effected areas are 75,000 + birds to deal with. There's NO way to house that many.

yes they are tring many methods. Flock reduction, sterilization, nest sterilization, etc. again they arent just going out and doing a massive massacre.
They are tring first to get the numbers down, yes, but then just a population control

You are right, BBB, people that want to do the most good (on the outside) cause the most problems. "We can't find a humane way to deal with this problem", "well then, lets not deal with it at all" People need to wake up and realize a problem needs to be dealt with immediately! All the feel goods are getting in the way and other species are suffering, not 'inconvenienced', suffering. Mother nature has a very harsh way of dealing with problems, very inhumane.

If people wanna avoid inhumane treatment of animals, don't leave it up to nature... She can't always correct herself.

You can ordered mute swans from Murray McMurray Hatchery. The breeding pair is $2250.00 plus $300.00 shipping. The yearlings are $1500.00 each and the babies are $337.50 plus shipping. They can't ship to California and Maryland. I just looked this up on their site. So why don't they start taking orders for them and make some money to help take care of other wildlife and the eco-system. They could sell them for 1/2 of what the hatcheries do.

first off. Those are ungodly numbers, the breeders getonly get $400- $500 pr as year old birds.
But that's niether here or there.
Again, that would work if 1) there was an actual market for 50,000+ birds
or 2) all that will do is furthur spread the problem.
this all started with folks thinks a swan on their pond would look cool, well with time they go feral and wild and here we go again, we just spread them to locations where they werent already located at. The US F&WS and Local state DNR's would never allow that

You are right those are ungodly numbers. Type in Murray McMurray Hatchery and go to their web site and you can find them there. You will have to type mute swans in their search engine and you can see the numbers yourself. They are beautiful birds but I don't want them. I wouldn't give the price for the babies much less the breeders.

Back
Top Bottom