My 5 mth. old Bobwhite Laid an Egg! Anyone eaten their BW Quail eggs before?

Glad to hear you like the eggs! I can't tell a difference in the bob eggs , and coturnix eggs from my farm. I have never tried any others thou... My coturnix eggs ran a bit larger then the 14 gram bobs do... I don't raise coturnix any more... The rest of your hens will kick in early spring without adding light. You'll have more eggs than you can eat then! Study up on your "pickled egg" recipes!!! They are some kinda good! Bill

Glad to hear you like the eggs! I can't tell a difference in the bob eggs , and coturnix eggs from my farm. I have never tried any others thou... My coturnix eggs ran a bit larger then the 14 gram bobs do... I don't raise coturnix any more... The rest of your hens will kick in early spring without adding light. You'll have more eggs than you can eat then! Study up on your "pickled egg" recipes!!! They are some kinda good! Bill
Thanks! We are actually huge egg eaters, so I think we will eat them up!

So, I thought you would be interested to know we cooked the eggs, and they were so delicious! The first egg she laid, the bigger odd shaped one in the picture, was a double yolker! After that, they were all the same size and shape. Last Sunday we had 8 eggs, so we each ate two a piece. Well, actually my little boy got 21/2 because my husband shared the double yolker with him. LOL

I found that you can't just crack the egg open. You have to crack it, hook your finger in towards the round bottom, and peel off the bottom for the egg to slide out.

I just cooked them sunny side up in butter. We loved them so much, we went to the Asian market and bought a bunch of coturnix eggs and cooked them. They didn't even come close to be as good as my bobwhite egg, and they were about the same size. I think it is probably because the coturnix eggs from the market are from a commercial quail egg producer, probably not the best quality feed. We give our quail lots of treats! So far we have two more in the fridge. Ten eggs total as of right now. She is laying almost one egg per day. The other hens haven't laid any yet.
What did you pay at the Asian market per dozen coturnix eggs? In the spring, I'll be searching for a buyer for mine since we can't eat them all.

I paid a little over a dollar for 10 eggs, I can't remember the exact amount, but they tasted like nothing, like the commercial chicken eggs. Those were definitely commercially raised and my eggs taste completely different, rich tasting and creamier. If you are producing rich tasting eggs, probably due to a variety of insects being offered to the quail, then I would say charge around 3-4 dollars per dozen. I think it depends on where you live, and if there is a demand of course. If I were producing eggs for profit, I would make sure to give my birds lots of treats of insects, greens and fruit. I would have a tasting party. Take your quail eggs to every gathering you go to. Make deviled quail eggs, hard boiled quail eggs with dipping sauce, and try making sushi with sunnyside up quail eggs. Wow the guests and they will become your customers!

Back
Top Bottom