my blue egg layer is now laying browns - PICTURE ADDED!!

I bet it is a double yolker laid by the same hen that laid the egg third in from far left. Just my guess.

My guess is that it is from one of your new layers, and that it is a double-yolker. Have you cracked it yet? I had a few chickens that laid a LOT of double-yolkers when they were first getting started, and they looked just like full size eggs.

You said you're sure it was from your blue egg layer because you'd just gathered eggs from all 4 of your other chickens? Is it possible one of your brown egg-layers could have laid late the day before? I agree with the others that it's not likely that a chicken would switch from blue eggs to brown, probably more likely (though also rare) for a new layer to lay twice in one day. My chickens will occasionally sing the egg song for one another and go in and out of the nest boxes without laying, so maybe she was just bluffing?

I agree with the previous posters that your chicken changing her egg colors is highly unlikely.

Of course, I'm fairly new to this, so I have no idea what i'm doing.

Another vote for a double yolker.

wink.png

I am new to chickens but my husband grew up with them. He has said that occasionally they would get a brown egg even though they only had white chickens. My mother-in-law says the roo can also change the color.

Just my thoughts.

Surprise Visit? It is the day after Halloween, maybe someone "painted" the egg. You should not give up the idea that strange things do happen!

Mystery solved - or nearly! Hurray - you are all right - Goldie layed another beautiful blue egg today so indeed one of the other girls layed a huge egg - likely a double yoker though hate to crack it until I need it. Thanks so much to everyone for their advice! As to whether there were four eggs from the four other girlsto begin with, I am not aspositive as I was - my eight year old has now changed stories so we will see - today we've only three eggs from the four others. Must say - I love my chickens - they are such friendly good girls.

Back
Top Bottom