My chicken just hatched a gosling!

gorobin

Hatching
Nov 21, 2015
I live in prescott valley az, and it's been very cold here lately. Nights are freezing. I have a breeding pair of buff and a breeding pair of pomeranian geese. I have gathered several eggs because neither female would sit the eggs. So, I put 2 of the eggs under my broody chicken, with the remote thought that she might sit them. Guess what, today I found 2 newly hatched goslings today! My question... shall I leave them in the nesting box with my hen for at least a couple of days? They are snuggled in close under her. The coop has a couple of 250w heat lamps, but that just keeps temps from freezing. Mama hen has food and water that I placed in the nesting box and she doesn't want to leave them. Fellow geese lovers,
should I move the babies inside under heat lamps or can I wait awhile? Babies seem toasty and happy. Appreciate any advice. Thanks. Cheryl

I'll bet she was shocked. Is the hen the only occupant? If so, I would be inclined to leave them, if not I would put her & babies in a separate pen. She may not be able to protect the babies from the others.

I use my hens to hatch goose eggs for years (hens hatch goose eggs better than a goose itself).
It's a bad idea to leave the goslings with the hen as the goslings will grow rapid the hen won't keep them warm enough for long and to avoid any injures bring the goslings inside asap.
Hens will loose interest in goslings quite fast because after a day goslings will want to run around and become hyper and sometimes the hen won't allow the gosling back under her.
This is from my experiences and the earlier you take the goslings the better the bond it will be ;)

I use my hens to hatch goose eggs for years (hens hatch goose eggs better than a goose itself).
It's a bad idea to leave the goslings with the hen as the goslings will grow rapid the hen won't keep them warm enough for long and to avoid any injures bring the goslings inside asap.
Hens will loose interest in goslings quite fast because after a day goslings will want to run around and become hyper and sometimes the hen won't allow the gosling back under her.
This is from my experiences and the earlier you take the goslings the better the bond it will be
wink.png
@gorobin

Back
Top Bottom