My chickens are soooo mean! Pecked the little one! Will she make it??

kelly13

In the Brooder
5 Years
Mar 18, 2014
Camden, De
The chickens have been free ranging together for a while and have been fine! This sebright was placed in the run today with it's one friend and was evading the other hens pecks ok. Her buddy was protecting her. Came out a while later and this is what I found! Her buddy seemed to be pecking her to finish her off!!! I am so distraught I don't know what to do!! Help!

Poor girl. Was she free ranging with the others, or just added today? Introducing new chickens has to be done gradually, behind a fence or by putting her in a cage in the coop so they will become accustomed to one another. She will grow back her feathers, and the wound should heal in a month or more, but hopefully she hasn't had any damage to her brain. She should be isolated in a cage in the coop at night and run during the day. If flies are a problem, you may need to keep her inside for awhile so that maggot don't become a problem in the warm weather. I would clean the wound once with weak betadine or hibiclens, and apply an antibiotic ointment such as bacitracin or neosporin ointment. When the scab forms, and starts to dry, then use BluKote. The new feathers will be attractive for the others to pull out, so keep the BluKote on every other day when she gets re-introduced. Having her in her own cage or area will speed up the process. I can't believe her friend turned on her like that--they are like a bunch of 5th graders! Seriously, I hope she gets well. My polish chicken looked just like that 6 months ago, and has fully recovered.

Last edited:
No they have been getting use to each other for two months or more separated. Of course she was with her "buddy" who always seemed to protect her while free ranging. They had all been mingling fine for a couple days so I thought they would just evade the others like when I had added chickens before. She is very calm and I'm just worried she is not going to make it through the night. Her whole head is scalped and one part looks very pinky, so I'm not sure if that is damage to her brain. I don't have betadine here. I wonder if a weak peroxide would be ok!!?!

I had a little roo that was in a friends flock that was pecked like that. I treated him for 3 weeks before putting him in with my flock and he fully recovered!

Above is pip (black Australorp). He became one of the best roos we ever had!

Seperate her for several weeks. Give her some electrolytes as well just to give her an extra boost. I used antibiotic ointment (no pain relief as that is harmful for poultry) on Pip. Do not put her back in with the flock until her feathers start to grow back. Good luck!

It certainly has me upset, my other chickens are so much bigger then this little girl. She is sooooo sweet! I rescued her and her "buddy" from some one who couldn't have chicks and they sleep in a separate coop and everything! I can't imagine how chickens can be so mean and for what? Ugh.... I love my chickens but seeing this side of my girls makes me wonder. I'm praying she will be ok! Thanks all for your advice, she is in my bathroom back in the brooder cleaned up and hopefully ok! Her buddy is in the main coop in the corner alone and not perched with the others. But he is so much bigger I am sure he will be alright. I don't think I should ever put my sebright back with the others. They are just too big and mean :(

What kind of electrolytes? She is so tired now. Must be exhausted! Should I mix up sugar water for her?
You can usually find a mix called 'quick chick' that works wonders. Here is a recipe on the Chicken Chick website if you can't make it to the supply store.

The clear gatoraides will work too.
HOMEMADE ELECTROLYTE SOLUTION

1/2 teaspoon salt substitute
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon table salt
1 tablespoon sugar
1 gallon water

Thanks so much, I had to work today but it's not eating and it either drank water or spilled it, not sure it's neck seems hurt. Don't know how to force her to drink! On top of it my dog got sprayed by a skunk last night and my house and my dog smells like skunk *** :( wasn't my night and day :(

Back
Top Bottom