My chickens are soooo mean! Pecked the little one! Will she make it??

I def don't think this looks good! I'm afraid it's infected. I don't know what normal chicken re growth and or wounds will look like?!?
1f613.png

Does it smell? Granulation tissue also produces a discharge. Clean/flush wound using a very diluted peroxide solution(2 T in one cup warm water)or whatever you are using to flush wound with,apply antibiotic ointment and cover with non stick sterile gauze/pads/etc.see if this helps. Is she on antibiotics? If no antibiotics available right now,try giving garlic,chop up 1/4 of a clove and feed to her or give in water(one clove per quart of water)chop or smash it.

Last edited:
Well they to only clean once, usually after cleaning once I would shy away from peroxide bc it destroys tissue growth... I can flush w saline though. I have worked all weekend, what antibiotic is not harmful to poultry? I can call vet tomorrow.. I did just mix up her food with water and helped her perch and she ate very well! She is trying to clean her feathers and she can't reach her head around, but she is def making progress just do not want infection to ruin everything.

Doesn't smell! I have a bad sense of smell tho, I had someone else smell it and they said it didn't. I would prefer granulation tissue to be red and beefy looking. She is def a tough girl!!!

Kelly Im watching this post closely and really pulling for your little girl. You can buy antibiotics at most any feed store. They will also have other things to help you with the wound.

I've seen where people mistake bruising for infection. I've seen nasty bites that looked pretty green and it turned out to be really bad tissue bruising. It doesn't smell so that is what I'm thinking.
Good luck!

I read the post! It's just so hard to tell bc the wound is so different. I could be over thinking things, but that's what I do. Her bare skull was showing. All the skin had been pulled away. So I'm thinking that covering in two nights is a good sign. I'm going to run to the feed store to see what they can offer me. I need to clean it with something better! I'm gonna take her outside for a little this am as well and let her stretch her legs if she is up to it. I was thinking in that post, that Epson salt would help... So thanks for everything and for everyone who keeps checking up on my girl! Once she pulls thru I do need a name for her! I didn't name any of my flock, i have 12 others... Seemed tedious, but she defintley earned one. :) need something tough yet girly! Lol
She is doing well this am, more awake and alert and perched still. Will update once I get back from feed store!

Eggcessive has the right of it! Pip turned green as well and I too freaked
barnie.gif
Just give her some time. Is she still eating and drinking? Believe it or not her feathers will probably regrow to the point where you won't be able to tell
hugs.gif
. At this point, as long as she is eating and drinking, I think she is going to be fine. Keep neosporian on it, just as you have been. Give her some extra vitamins. Have you tried scrambled eggs, it has all of the good stuff whe will need to heal fast? You are doing a great job!

Back
Top Bottom