My chickens hate me

Yeah my chickens are kind of scared of me too but they're all young hens so hoping they lighten up a bit when they get older. I'm the nicest owner too? I even put ice in their water feeder and give them watermelon and meal worms and run misters in this terrible heat? Their coop is high dollar and I let them free range on my 1 acre property too.
I get no respect lol

Yeah my chickens are kind of scared of me too but they're all young hens so hoping they lighten up a bit when they get older. I'm the nicest owner too? I even put ice in their water feeder and give them watermelon and meal worms and run misters in this terrible heat? Their coop is high dollar and I let them free range on my 1 acre property too.
I get no respect lol
Seriously, same. We purposely leave a little pink on our watermelon slices. I make them special breakfast mash every morning in addition to their dry feed. Setup cinderblocks and wood block for activity. A little appreciation would be nice!

I'm a little weird in that I believe in animals autonomy. If they don't want handling that's their choice unless there's a real need, like illness, moving coops, or going for sale.

When I first move them into the coop, I force them to roost. It's a safety issue IMO, height keeps them safe from small predators like rats. So they squawk mean names at me, but I grab them and stick them on the roost as many times as needed for them to get it (timing it for enough darkness they want to stay put, but enough light that I don't need a flashlight).
This would be an ideal time for you to look them over. Right on the border of dark. The urge to roost at bedtime is strong enough they shouldn't escape when you open the door. Night chickens are totally different to day chickens :)

If you go after your birds in the day and they get away, you're basically teaching them to run away from you.
I like to just sit with my birds. I don't want lap chickens, but I bring out a folding chair some days and spend time watching them. They get curious too, and some come up to visit me. Even the sweetest go through a long "Don't touch me" stage. But since they know I won't just grab at them, they still come close.

Ok I’m being dramatic.

But my 9-10 week olds seem pretty scared of me. I handled them daily as little chicks but wasn’t “snuggly” with them like I see so many people are. They now live in a run outside. They don’t exactly run and hide when I enter (mainly cause they know I usually come with something special) but I cannot pick them up without either chasing or waiting for the exact right moment one is distracted close enough to me. 2 will come peck at my shoes if I stay still but the rest keep their distance.

I’m not trying to make them lap chickens, but im already struggling to do health checks on them and I worry it’s only going to get more difficult. Is it normal for chickens to be this flighty? Is there anything I can do to help earn some trust or is it too late?

Breeds are:
RIR (jury is out in sex)
White leghorn (pullet)
barred Plymouth Rock (pullet)
Easter egger (pullet)
Buff Orphington (pullet)
Blue maran (cockerel)
I had a chicken like this but I was very snuggly with her! She’s a production red and just sassy she runs away when I tried to pick her up. Now I just get near her and she’ll let me touch her (she still runs from strangers but it doesn’t really matter.) I trained all my chickens to be very tolerant for holding I can do whatever I want with them and they won’t freak out. I did this by a very long process of hand feeding and secret touching. I’d hand feed them everyday with treats and touch their chest and slowly desensitize them. Then I’d move on by catching and holding then feeding them while in my arms. It was really just this for three months and now my production red lets me do whatever I want with her. She went from running away to tolerant. So maybe try hand feeding daily with chest touching. I wish you luck ❤️ I would do it now before they start laying eggs. It is NEVER too late since my production was already laying eggs and a year old when I tamed her out. But you’re still at a young age to mold them into handable chickens a lot easier and quicker than older ones. Good luck and let me know how it goes!

I'm a little weird in that I believe in animals autonomy. If they don't want handling that's their choice unless there's a real need, like illness, moving coops, or going for sale.

When I first move them into the coop, I force them to roost. It's a safety issue IMO, height keeps them safe from small predators like rats. So they squawk mean names at me, but I grab them and stick them on the roost as many times as needed for them to get it (timing it for enough darkness they want to stay put, but enough light that I don't need a flashlight).
This would be an ideal time for you to look them over. Right on the border of dark. The urge to roost at bedtime is strong enough they shouldn't escape when you open the door. Night chickens are totally different to day chickens :)

If you go after your birds in the day and they get away, you're basically teaching them to run away from you.
I like to just sit with my birds. I don't want lap chickens, but I bring out a folding chair some days and spend time watching them. They get curious too, and some come up to visit me. Even the sweetest go through a long "Don't touch me" stage. But since they know I won't just grab at them, they still come close.
I have found that sitting in the run with my flock makes them less leery of me. Some will flutter up onto my lap. I also offer tidbits which they're not afraid to take from my hand. They did have to learn to take the tidbits without taking my fingers! :lol:

I have found that sitting in the run with my flock makes them less leery of me. Some will flutter up onto my lap. I also offer tidbits which they're not afraid to take from my hand. They did have to learn to take the tidbits without taking my fingers! :lol:
Odd, I find sitting in my run makes the neighbors REALLY leery of me. And the chickens could care less…

Odd, I find sitting in my run makes the neighbors REALLY leery of me. And the chickens could care less…
It's okay with me if the neighbors are leery of me!
:gig

After I completed adding a new roost to my hoop coop this morning I sat and cooled off inside the run.

Naomi decided to check out my coffee:
IMG_20230729_110416021~2.jpg

She also hopped up onto my lap, looked me over and hopped off. I didn't have any treats.

I have all RIRs. They do NOT like being handled. I can't speak to the other breeds, but - it no longer bothers me. They're still social, and come near to visit - probably because they want a treat. It's just how they are ☺

I have all RIRs. They do NOT like being handled. I can't speak to the other breeds, but - it no longer bothers me. They're still social, and come near to visit - probably because they want a treat. It's just how they are ☺
Yes I keep a production red who pretty much has the same temperament. She’s okay-ish about being picked up now since I picked her up everyday but now she’s only okay with it from me, which is a bit silly. She runs from everyone else. Though, she really just prefers getting treats, as you said!

Back
Top Bottom