My chickens hate me

ForFlocksSake

Songster
Jun 2, 2023
North Florida/Panhandle
Ok I’m being dramatic.

But my 9-10 week olds seem pretty scared of me. I handled them daily as little chicks but wasn’t “snuggly” with them like I see so many people are. They now live in a run outside. They don’t exactly run and hide when I enter (mainly cause they know I usually come with something special) but I cannot pick them up without either chasing or waiting for the exact right moment one is distracted close enough to me. 2 will come peck at my shoes if I stay still but the rest keep their distance.

I’m not trying to make them lap chickens, but im already struggling to do health checks on them and I worry it’s only going to get more difficult. Is it normal for chickens to be this flighty? Is there anything I can do to help earn some trust or is it too late?

Breeds are:
RIR (jury is out in sex)
White leghorn (pullet)
barred Plymouth Rock (pullet)
Easter egger (pullet)
Buff Orphington (pullet)
Blue maran (cockerel)

Mine are the same way except for the liege fighters. My regular birds are cool with me but aren't going to let me pick one up unless I snatch them up after dark. The LF's are like dogs. They follow me around and try to get in my lap and whatnot. It's even more strange because I don't encourage it at all.

It's their age. Plus most chickens really don't like being picked up all that much. If they were more tolerant of it when they were younger, they'll likely be more tolerant of it once they reach POL. But a few may never really want to be handled.
They never really tolerated being handled. They have always acted like im trying to murder them 😆

Back
Top Bottom