My chickens hate me

Do you ever check them for medical issues? I just like to look at them once or twice a week to make sure nothing is going on.
No I don't. Years ago, there was an established poster, who treated them more like livestock, which I am comfortable with. She said, that if they are active, bright eyed, eating and laying they are fine. I go with that.

Mine have plenty of room. I do not expect them to live forever, and I like multi-generational flocks. As far as I know, I have never had a medical issue. I don't read the medical page on here, because I secretly believe that a lot of people like to doctor their birds just to be doctoring.

I do watch them, we are ranchers, so watching animals is what we do.

Mrs K

No I don't. Years ago, there was an established poster, who treated them more like livestock, which I am comfortable with. She said, that if they are active, bright eyed, eating and laying they are fine. I go with that.

Mine have plenty of room. I do not expect them to live forever, and I like multi-generational flocks. As far as I know, I have never had a medical issue. I don't read the medical page on here, because I secretly believe that a lot of people like to doctor their birds just to be doctoring.

I do watch them, we are ranchers, so watching animals is what we do.

Mrs K
I respect this approach. I need to find the balance for sure. I did not grow up with livestock so this is new to me.

Do you also eat your laying hens once they reach a certain age?

You are not doing anything wrong, as what you're describing is something almost all chicken-keepers experience. Certain chickens will grow up to not like being handled much, while others will stay just as calm and friendly as they were as chicks. Their personality usually loosens up around the time they start laying (at least for the pullets).

A good way to teach them that you are not out to hurt them is to spend a long time holding them each day, and do not let them get out of your grip until you're ready to put them down. When you are done performing the holding session, reward the chicken with good treats (often preferably mealworms).

Most chickens will keep their personality forever, but there are a few ways to teach them you mean no harm. Don't expect them to work, but you can try them.

Do you ever check them for medical issues? I just like to look at them once or twice a week to make sure nothing is going on.
I do it if I know one is injured or sick. I have a cockerel who fought a raccoon last week so I had to clean and disinfect his wounds and now I'm just checking him every couple of days to make sure nothing is infected.

You are not doing anything wrong, as what you're describing is something almost all chicken-keepers experience. Certain chickens will grow up to not like being handled much, while others will stay just as calm and friendly as they were as chicks. Their personality usually loosens up around the time they start laying (at least for the pullets).

A good way to teach them that you are not out to hurt them is to spend a long time holding them each day, and do not let them get out of your grip until you're ready to put them down. When you are done performing the holding session, reward the chicken with good treats (often preferably mealworms).

Most chickens will keep their personality forever, but there are a few ways to teach them you mean no harm. Don't expect them to work, but you can try them.
Thanks. Now how do I catch them? haha

Back
Top Bottom