My Coop - first time chicken owner

Dan B

In the Brooder
8 Years
Apr 8, 2011
Back in the winter we decided we wanted chickens so I read and read about coop designs and anything about chickens I could find. I looked at 30 or so designs and came up with my own from those 30. I asked on Craigslist if any one had a coop for sale and a guy emailed me back and said he has started one but didn't have time to finish it. I went and bought the partial frame for $15 after I seen pictures of it and it was almost exactly what I had in mind. I'm no carpenter and I've never built anything other than a small deck.

The first pic is the fame I bought. I just went with the flow and added to it. A good deal of this was scrap wood.

b1.jpg

You can see one of our cats on the hen box. He supervised the build.

b2.jpg

b3.jpg

So anyways....we bought the chicken supplies we needed at TSC the night we went and got our hens. We got two RIR's and two Barred Rocks and so far I LOVE the Barred Rocks the most. One RIR is a mean hen and the other is mentally challenged. The two Barred Rocks are as normal as normal can be. We are getting about 2 to 4 eggs a day. We got one egg the next day after we brought them home!

Since these image I've built a day time extension onto the side to the coop to let them roam about a bit more (effectively doubling the yard space). I'm hoping that after week 4 I can

I want to go back and replace the chicken wire with something stronger. We have critters around here that could wipe the hens out so I need something stronger to critter proof the coop. Plus the staples just seams flimsy. I'm hoping to build on to it and make it much bigger soon. We would like to add 2 more chickens before summer is over. This one is a OK for 4 chickens but anymore and it would be cramped.

thumbsup.gif

Looks great so far! Glad to hear you did ample research prior to bringing them home. Wonderful job!
I would definitely reinforce the runs with a welded wire fencing over the chicken wire. And make room for more. Chicken, math, you know.
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom