My crazy chickens. I need advise on keeping my flock warm this winter?

JoCoKS

Chirping
May 13, 2019
My wife never had pets in her life till she married me and I brought my Samoyed, Arno Dog. If it is a chicken I would give the hen a name like Henrietta Cluck with the name so everyone would know I was talking about my chickens. Over our 43 years of marriage she could not believe the off the wall behavior of my dogs. Nothing ever bad but each had it's own behavior patterns that brought a lot of laughs to us, our 4 children and our neighbors but my backyard chickens really bring their own crazy behavior into our lives. Like when my chickens see me they come running and some of the hens will squat down wanting me to pet them or pick them up. This behavior got my name changed from “Joseph Ernst”.... to “Elvis” by my wife telling me my chickens are my groupie. Today my little flock really got our attention while we were eating breakfast. The Cozy Coop Heater stopped working a couple days ago and they are not happy about lack of heat and they have let me know it but today they outdid themselves by coming up to the landing outside our pair of Atrium Doors in Breakfast Room with the rooster closest to the glass and the hens behind him so they could watch me eat my breakfast while they stared at me. To make sure I saw them in the Atrium door with direct view of my eating some of the girls peck at the door. I will admit they even got my wife's attention with their pecking and dancing around but not the rooster who just stood and stared at me. I have wonder if they will be out there tomorrow and every day till I get some heat in their coop that is comply insulated with batt insulation to help keep them warm in the winter a cooler in the summer. I installed a small fan up at ceiling level to bring in fresh air when the weather is permits. My crazy flock is Bielefelder chickens and 3 Salmon Faverolles that chatter all the time, they are a noise chickens.

I do not know what to do because I purchased several Cozy Coop Heaters in the past and they last only a little over a year so I am not doing that again. Before that I had a light bulb burning in a fairly large cast iron pot to put out heat, but now I cannot find it to use it. I did buy a small oil fill heater but the cold as it is I am afraid it may catch fire and destroy my flock which I do not want. I bought several heater bulbs but they need a ceramic base and I had a dozen of the bases and now I cannot find even one.

Please Advise.

All year round is when you need to run the fan for ventilation. Chickens keep themselves warm. They don't need supplemental heat unless it is bitterly cold... to a chicken, not a human.
Can you post pictures of your coop and provide your general location?

Agreed, but don't run the fan if it produces a draft. If it does, put a speed control on it and run it at the slowest speed. Chicken coops need some ventilation. I'm in Northern MI and the temp yesterday was 16 degrees Fahrenheit. My chickens just cuddle together to keep the flock warm. The problem is, you've acclimated them to a heated coop and they want that back. Not sure how long it will take them to remember how to keep themselves warm if they ever do. I had considered heat in the coop when I first started, but I read posts warning that it could lead to consequences.

Agreed, but don't run the fan if it produces a draft. If it does, put a speed control on it and run it at the slowest speed. Chicken coops need some ventilation. I'm in Northern MI and the temp yesterday was 16 degrees Fahrenheit. My chickens just cuddle together to keep the flock warm. The problem is, you've acclimated them to a heated coop and they want that back. Not sure how long it will take them to remember how to keep themselves warm if they ever do. I had considered heat in the coop when I first started, but I read posts warning that it could lead to consequences.
If they're walking up to the house to "complain" then I think they are likely just fine. The cozy coop heaters don't put out a ton of heat.

If they're walking up to the house to "complain" then I think they are likely just fine. The cozy coop heaters don't put out a ton of heat.
Yes....They are looking for food...not heat/warmth.

I do not know what to do because I purchased several Cozy Coop Heaters in the past and they last only a little over a year so I am not doing that again.
I doubt you need a heater, but you may need more passive ventilation other than the fan. Pics of your coop, inside and out, would help us help you.

..and @JoCoKS it's always good, and essential for this issue, to know....
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1609681108963.png

Sounds like you've got some great chicken personalities in your flock.

Fully-feathered, adult chickens shouldn't need heat in their coop unless you live in a truly extreme environment. You can add your general location to your profile so people can give targeted advice. :)
[/QUOTE
Prairie Village, Kansas

Back
Top Bottom