My dad thinks it's a brain tumor...

Quote:
Me too, it breaks my heart, but believe me, I do it when there's no hope. I can't see them suffer along.
Putting a chicken in a plastic bag is kindof a long slow death. It may not be best for the chicken. I can't wring a neck either. So I get a block of wood and a sharp knife and a hammer. I also cover their eyes.

That's the quickest death for the chicken and the most painless. I call that humane.

I only have 3 chickens. We started with 4 but a predator got one
sad.png
. As far as ending their life, A friend of mine raises chickens as well. He has done it for years and he also raises doves. When he needs to put one down, he puts them into a garbage bag and then holds the opening of the garbage bag tightly around the tailpipe of his really old truck. It has terrible emissions and simply puts the birds to sleep with carbon dioxide. It is VERY humane and if there ever comes a day when I need to put a bird down, I will be over his house to use his truck. The newer cars and trucks burn to clean and don't do the job.

I hope Sugar is holding up Mia.
hugs.gif

Culling can be very very very VERY hard but it's always important to cull in the most humane way possible. If you can't do it yourself maybe you have a friend or neighbor that could help (I've had to ask a neighbor to help for my favorite duck). I'm not trying to get on your case or anything, just offering advice.

How is Sugar doing?

I wouldnt suggest the tailpipe. I tried it once with a sick bird at the suggestion of someone who I thought knew...and it was not a good thing. I put the bird in a box and set up a vacume hose from the tailpipe to the box and taped it.
The emissions are very hot and I found that even if the bird had passed out right away, it made the box terribly hot. I would think that holding a bag over a tailpipe would burn your hands.
The techs from the UConn lab said that the common thought in the scientific world and over at UConn's poultry extension is that cervical dislocation is the most human way to put them down.
Mareks, which was likely the disease in the bird that we're talking about here, causes tumors on the nerves and a bird totally down with that likely isnt feeling much, but quick suffocation is probably better than slow suffocation.
Its sad but we sometimes have to. Im terrible about it.
Mia, maybe next time try to get someone to take care of it for you.
Its alot for a kid to deal with....and you're already doing the heavy lifting with Sugar!
How is she, by the way?

Sugar is doing okay. Where I lanced.. It could be healing? Or not..? The skin is turning hard and curling inwards, I tried re-lancing it but it's a bit tough. No more juice is coming out, in fact I poked around with the tweezers and it seems it's drying up in there. I grabbed a hold of something but I couldn't pull it out. It's not mushy anymore either. Any ideas?
She is still on antibiotics and I'm using triodine-7 on the area, it was suggested by a guy working at the feedstore who used it on his goat.
Sugar fell into the duck pool yesterday, almost gave me a heart attack! I heard flapping and splashing and saw Sugar swimming (more like bobbing up and down in the water). I took her right out and inside to dry her up.

It was up to my mom and if I don't agree she starts yelling and then I have to tell her not to yell outside so the other neighbors don't hear her. I suggested wringing it's neck away from the other chickens, but mom said no. And if I continue to suggest an idea that she does not agree with she get's very loud. My parents are close minded
hmm.png

Well I don't think the chicken suffered because she had Mareks anyway; we all do our best and I'm sure that's what your mom is trying to do...my 17 year old son says that I talk loud or yell and embarrass him too; he thinks that everyone notices everything.
just try to hang in there; you're doing great, and someday soon you'll be off at college or vet school;-)
Parents seem embarrassing and difficult so that it makes it easier for you to go off in the world! If we werent like that, you'd stay home forever!!

I would just keep up what you're doing. It sounds like the infection has dried up and is healing! Unless it crops up elsewhere, you can probably wait a week or so and discontinue the antibiotics. Keep them going for a while tho, because this was a very bad infection and you don't want it to reoccur.
It seems like you've done it....yay!!

Quote:
I totally understand - their house, their rules. No one is criticizing you, for sure. You are doing SUCH a good job with Sugar!! I think it sounds like she's doing better!
thumbsup.gif

The best way I have found to cull a chick or chicken is to use ether. They do not suffer and just go to sleep.
Buy a spray can of engine starting fluid (ether) at the local auto parts place. We have Napa, Advance Auto and Auto Zone in this area. Being careful not to breath it, spray enough to wet a couple of paper towels folded in a garbage bag. Put the chicken in and close the bag. I leave them for a 10-15 minutes. I would only use this method for chickens that need to be culled. I would not use it for chickens I was going to eat.

Quote:
That sounds really humane. I guess they just go into a really deep sleep and stop breathing like the doctor in 'Cider House Rules.'
Thanks for sharing

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom