My DIY Brooder Plate

Apr 16, 2023
NE Tennessee
I thought I would share my solution for a brooder plate.

I've always used red heat bulbs, but liked the idea of a brooder plate and its benefits

However, I wasn't about to spend that kind of money. So for about 20 bucks and some wire. I built this to hang from the wire top of the brooder.

1 cookie sheet
2 reptile heat mats, peel and stick
Spare wire

Chicks are outside on the porch, nights in the 40s and days in the 70s and are doing great. It is working out well as a more natural habitat.

CORRECTION: I bought two mats and a cookie sheet. So it was 35 for this project.
IMG_20230416_100824382.jpg
IMG_20230416_100831510.jpg
IMG_20230416_100839473.jpg
IMG_20230416_101006240.jpg

Last edited:

I've always used red heat bulbs, but liked the idea of a brooder plate and its benefits

However, I wasn't about to spend that kind of money. So for about 20 bucks and some wire. I built this to hang from the wire top of the brooder.

1 cookie sheet
Spare wire

Chicks are outside on the porch, nights in the 40s and days in the 70s and are doing great. It is working out well as a more natural habitat. View attachment 3469526View attachment 3469527View attachment 3469528View attachment 3469530
Awesome! Similar to the “MHP” set up people talk about that is usually done with a human heating pad. This looks like a great way to make a nice big one!

Maybe post a full tutorial of how you did it?

Awesome! Similar to the “MHP” set up people talk about that is usually done with a human heating pad. This looks like a great way to make a nice big one!

Maybe post a full tutorial of how you did it?
I haven't heard the acronym MHP before. On my search, I found this really nice article which has got me thinking about the "wool hens" it mentions.

There isn't much to a tutorial for mine. Just stick them together. Is there something that could be clearer?

https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...healthier-options-to-heat-your-brooder.72482/

I haven't heard the acronym MHP before. On my search, I found this really nice article which has got me thinking about the "wool hens" it mentions.

There isn't much to a tutorial for mine. Just stick them together. Is there something that could be clearer?

https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...healthier-options-to-heat-your-brooder.72482/
I guess like “this is the size cookie sheet I used, and here is the link/qualifications to check for the reptile heat mat, and here is how to secure the wire so chicks dont cut themselves, etc.” Basically pretend you are not handy and new to baby chicks?

I think it would be a nice alternative as heating pads withOUT automatic shut-offs become more rare.

Edited for typos

Oh and the acronym- it started as “mama hen heating pad” which appears to have been shortened to “mama heating pad” and then MHP. 🤷‍♀️ If you check the raising chicks forum, a looooong thread about it is usually somewhere near the top.

I guess like “this is the size cookie sheet I used, and here is the link/qualifications to check for the reptile heat mat, and here is how to secure the wire so chicks dont cut themselves, etc.” Basically pretend you are not handy and new to baby chicks?

I think it would be a nice alternative as heating pads withOUT automatic shut-offs become more rare.

Edited for typos
I'll see about doing so. Thank you for the idea. 😊

It is larger - a full-sized cookie sheet. I didn't like the sizes being sold for such a high price and I could visualize them fighting to be in the center when the edges were cold.

I will check out that thread. 😎

1 cookie sheet
Spare wire

Chicks are outside on the porch, nights in the 40s and days in the 70s and are doing great. It is working out well as a more natural habitat. View attachment 3469526View attachment 3469527View attachment 3469528View attachment 3469530
Love this! You should create an article and enter the article contest.

Back
Top Bottom