My drake is limping; foot seems to have cracks in it?

backthatelfup

In the Brooder
6 Years
Aug 21, 2013
Portland, OR
So this evening, we noticed one of our drake's (Chillbo) was limping. By some kind of fortuitous cosmic alignment, he allowed us to pick him up.

It looks like he's got two cracks in the skin and a small red dot in the middle of his foot? I ordered some Vetericyn and was going to put honey on it today/tonight to try and treat it. Is it maybe a small puncture wound? Just dry feet? I am worried about my dude :(

Thank you in advance.

Keep him away from all the other ducks , get him relaxed . And keep him off that foot

Everytime one of my ducks is limping I put him/her in the breeding pen , which is a completly enclosed area . I put it in tree alone with food and water within a week to three weeks it's walking perfectly fine again .
( See I live way out so I usually relie on time/ relaxation to heal my ducks since it takes forever to order medication but I do sometimes put like hydrogen peroxide on cuts and sometimes use neosporin and tie the foot , wing or whatever it is in gaws as let it heal )

Thank you!

We do have their old pen from when they were little; could get him to just sit on his duckbutt and relax if we put him in there. We'll probably try to get him in there and chilling tomorrow. The weather will be nice still and we have an extra waterer we can use.

Yeah just make sure it's secure on the top if you keep him in there for a few weeks because You know hawks , raccoons ,possi ( probably spelled the plural of possum wrong ) can all get in there and eat him .

Back
Top Bottom