My duck is walking funny

Redheadsrfun

In the Brooder
Aug 20, 2015
Dallas, TX
She seemed to be limping and when she walks rocks heavily from side to side. I have thoroughly checked for Bumblefoot and any feet/wing injuries and nothing! She's always kinda walked that way but lately it seems difficult and she's been a bit immobile, though still has a healthy appetite and otherwise acts like her normal self! No puffed up feathers, diet is the same, what gives?? 10 week old Pekin/Mallard. Thanks for any insight!

My Pekins have a very exaggerated waddle. They sway from side to side when they walk, and none of my other breeds do. If you are concerned, I'm sure there is merit to it. Will you please list exactly what she eats - food brand and type, treats and supplements. Also, what type of area does she live in? Grass, dirt, cement, gravel, etc. Do you have other ducks?

Thank you for your reply! We have recently sectioned the ducks and chickens (2 ducks and 4 chickens) off to grow grass in the majority of our yard. They are currently in mostly dirt and gravel, sand in their pens. I feed the ducks Dumor 20% (bought the big 50 lb bag and trying to finish it off) in the morning and greens (romaine, dandelion, bok choy or kale) in the evening usually w a tomato to split. The male duck is fine, it's just my little lady who seems to be having any issues :(

Thank you for your reply! We have recently sectioned the ducks and chickens (2 ducks and 4 chickens) off to grow grass in the majority of our yard. They are currently in mostly dirt and gravel, sand in their pens. I feed the ducks Dumor 20% (bought the big 50 lb bag and trying to finish it off) in the morning and greens (romaine, dandelion, bok choy or kale) in the evening usually w a tomato to split. The male duck is fine, it's just my little lady who seems to be having any issues
sad.png

Is it possible she is being over mated? A proper duck to drake ratio is 2-3 ducks per male minimum. If he is mating her too much, she can be sore and possibly hurt - which could impact her walking. How old are they?

Is it possible she is being over mated?  A proper duck to drake ratio is 2-3 ducks per male minimum.  If he is mating her too much, she can be sore and possibly hurt - which could impact her walking.  How old are they?
[/quote

They are both just 11 weeks old this Saturday, so too young to mate. I made an appt for her tomorrow at the vet, fingers crossed!

I'm no expert, but the first things I would do is wrap affected areas in Epsom salt soaked cloths 2-3 times a day for 15-20 or longer if possible and supplement their water w niacin and food w Brewers yeast. I'm new to ducks this year, but I've had 2 ducks w leg or foot problems and this treatment worked on both. Keep us posted

Thank y'all so much for your responses! My nervousness got the best of me and I went to the vet. An x-ray and $275 later she seems to have a (they think?) bacterial infection in her left joint and will take antibiotics/anti inflammatories for the next week or two. I'm having a hell of a time administering the liquid meds to her and finally gave up. It was a super stressful day for the both of us. Ugh!

Thank y'all so much for your responses! My nervousness got the best of me and I went to the vet. An x-ray and $275 later she seems to have a (they think?) bacterial infection in her left joint and will take antibiotics/anti inflammatories for the next week or two. I'm having a hell of a time administering the liquid meds to her and finally gave up. It was a super stressful day for the both of us. Ugh!
If liquid maybe you can hide it in her feed. if she has a bacterial infection she needs the meds. Or contact @casportpony via PM and she can show you how to give her the meds by needleless syringe.

One of my ducks is on Metacam (liquid meds) long-term and I just put it on a tiny piece of bread. She gobbles it right down. Very simple and easy. Bread isn't good for ducks in large amount, but one tiny piece (just big enough to soak up the meds) a day is not going to hurt anything at all.

Back
Top Bottom