My experience dealing with MG (Mycoplasma gallispectum)

I am new to chickens. How do you treat the coops, run and free roaming land that the infected chickens have been in?
Thank you for sharing so we can all learn.
I'm so sorry. You are being so responsible. Please keep us posted on what more you learn.

Quote:
Hi Courtney

That's one of the reasons I want to take care of this now. I have eggs in the bator and I ordered those GDWs from you and Delawares from Shortcake. Shortcake's were already in the mail when I found out. As hard as it is, if I take care of this now, sanitize and let the coop stand empty for a few weeks - this new batch will stand a chance. It gives me something to hope for.

Quote:
Disinfect and leave vacant for a certain period of time. Certain diseases need special treatment, and some require the desruction of the facility and the birds. MG is pretty basic in cleaning though... I think.

Quote:
I've ordered a product called Oxine. You dilute it and use one of those pump sprayers and spray every nook and cranny. After my birds are gone, I need to remove all the bedding, empty all the food and water, scrub them clean, spray, spray, spray the disinfectant and let it sit empty for a while. The state vet said the disease doesn't live long outside of the chicken. I intend to keep some of this spray mixed up to sanitize shoes of anyone who comes to my house. Oxine sounds perfect because I have rabbits and it's safe to be sprayed around them and injested by them. Some people even use a few drops in the waterers.

Quote:
Shows how observant I am to usernames... didn't realize it was you! Well my offer still stands, *hugs* but if it's better for you I can stop collecting and get you eggs at a later date. That way you can get everything cleaned up and worry about eggs later. That might be better anyways cause it appears that my GDW cross has gone on strike with regards to eggs. Not a single egg in 3 days. Again, I'm so sorry. I can't imagine what I would do in this situation.

Quote:
Oxine is awesome. That's what I use. You can even mist birds with it to help treat respiratory problems. Try to heat up the coop and get it very dry. Bacteria don't do well at all in hot, dry environments. After you disinfect I would open every door and window to let the sunshine in.

Quote:
Shows how observant I am to usernames... didn't realize it was you! Well my offer still stands, *hugs* but if it's better for you I can stop collecting and get you eggs at a later date. That way you can get everything cleaned up and worry about eggs later. That might be better anyways cause it appears that my GDW cross has gone on strike with regards to eggs. Not a single egg in 3 days. Again, I'm so sorry. I can't imagine what I would do in this situation.

I don't want to, but it's probably a good idea. You know how much I want those GDWs and I'd be so devastated if I don't get this under control and I lost them.
sad.png
I'll let you know when I get a clean bill of health and we'll try again.

Karen-my heart--all of our hearts here go out to you at this dark time.
I just wanted to thank you for your courage, honesty, and integrity.
As tough as this is for you, your compassion for others for not spreading MG
and to educate on the issue will help other people. Your instincts were good, and I fear so many people wouldnt have even bothered to take a second look at a hen that was just sick briefly. Two roads diverge in the woods and you took the hard one, but the right one. Its the only way. When the coast is clear I think lots of people will want to help you back on your path. (0:
Hang in there...

edited for I cant type today, maybe its the tears

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom