My favorite brown EE is MIA!

mommas chickens

Chirping
8 Years
Apr 13, 2011
Spring Creek, NV
I have been letting my hens free range during the day for over 3mths now and since 1 of them has started laying I make them stay in run until about 1hr before sunset so anyone that wants to also start laying can do so in the correct place I let them out this afternoon like always and when I went out to shut the run door and do a head count she's not there!! I looked every were Im hoping shes just hiding under the deck or something and shows up in the am she's my sweetest and my absolute favorite!!!!
hit.gif

I understand your anguish, believe me. EE's are my favorite, and I also have one particular one right now that I'm very partial to.

Before that, my favorite was Michelle a five-year old EE I had adopted after her owner died in a highway crash. One day a bobcat got into the pen and scattered the flock. After I'd located them, I knew one was missing since her pile of feathers were all that remained, but in my grief I couldn't remember who it was. When my mind settled down enough to think properly, it dawned on me that it was my favorite EE Michelle that had been killed.

So yes, I understand what you're going through. I sincerely hope she turns up, but sundown is a terrible period fraught with predator dangers. Perhaps, until your girls all begin to lay and get the hang of using the nest boxes, you might consider just confining them. Mid-day is a far safer period for chickens to free-range.

Please try not to beat yourself up over this. You wouldn't believe how dangerous my own "chicken learning curve" has been to my own flock.

Thank you everyone! She showed back up...so strange she was just happily clucking outside my main fence. She was gone 2 days! We live right next to a cattle field that always has coyotes etc. guess she's got a guardian angel! But needless to say yes everyone is staying locked up and I am super parinoid now!

Has anyboday else noticed that it seems like predators "purposefully" go for favorites???? I have read many, many posts talking about a predator killing their favorite chicken... Im scared for Lacey (my SLW, I love her!!!)...
hide.gif

About the third time I let my young chickens out to free range on my two acres, under my supervision, a neighbor's young beagle ran in the midst of them and scattered them into my woods. I immediately started looking for them, but they were hiding too well for me to find any of them for a couple of hours. I finally found five of the six, but the smallest and most timid pullet and the least bright could not be found. I called and looked for her until dark that day and many times the next day, then I gave up thinking she was dead. The next day I pulled in the driveway coming home from church and I looked out towards their pen, and there she was trying to get through the fence to get back with the flock. I had cried and cried because I thought she was dead, then I cried and cried because she was alive!

Back
Top Bottom