My first chicken coop build

That can be easier to deal with than places like mine where it never cools down at night. But the need for fresh air is even greater at night when all the birds are in the coop for hours on end. :)
Thanks for your input. I’ll keep an eye on things. If it starts smelling of ammonia I’ll add some sort of ventilation. A wind power turbine, windows or doors with screens, or even electric fans are all possible.
I’m considering running power over to it anyway it would only take a couple hours work. I probably have most of the supplies on hand left over from when I ran a wire out to the greenhouse. Just another 20-30 foot of digging to make it happen.

Thanks for your input. I’ll keep an eye on things. If it starts smelling of ammonia I’ll add some sort of ventilation. A wind power turbine, windows or doors with screens, or even electric fans are all possible.
I’m considering running power over to it anyway it would only take a couple hours work. I probably have most of the supplies on hand left over from when I ran a wire out to the greenhouse. Just another 20-30 foot of digging to make it happen.

Personally, I'm a fan of designing in passive ventilation. I've too much experience of losing power from storms. :D

Repecka Illustrates Coop Ventilation

IF you use a fan, be sure to get one that's rated for barn use. An ordinary household fan with an unsealed motor is a fire hazard due to the dust from the feathers and the bedding.

After hearing suggestions about adding more ventilation I added a window/vent to the bigger man door. The hatch hinges from the top to shed rain away from the opening and can easily be closed during cold windy winters. I might do one on the other man door as well.

Attachments

• F26541BD-0DA4-4711-AEF2-6BC916776E9F.jpeg
    F26541BD-0DA4-4711-AEF2-6BC916776E9F.jpeg
    769.2 KB · Views: 3
  • 7AE3A2A3-73A8-4E53-AD9C-6341A21ADB8B.jpeg
    7AE3A2A3-73A8-4E53-AD9C-6341A21ADB8B.jpeg
    710.3 KB · Views: 3

Back
Top Bottom