My Flock Story -- 2023

I might need to put out some of rooster booster. Everyone seams to be doing fine tho. Just keeping it wet around the waters and letting them fined the coolest place by letting them out in the morning.

I have 13 roosters that don't get out right now because I'm selling them or culling in a few more weeks. :hmm

I might need to put out some of rooster booster. Everyone seams to be doing fine tho. Just keeping it wet around the waters and letting them fined the coolest place by letting them out in the morning.

I have 13 roosters that don't get out right now because I'm selling them or culling in a few more weeks. :hmm

I haven't needed to use it much this summer because it's barely broken 95F even in the hot part of the afternoon, but we're having some truly HOT weather this week.

I have Rooster Booster, but Sav-a-Chick or any other electrolyte works.

I made a gallon for something around 40-50 birds (I haven't counted lately), and then mixed in their regular feed until it was about an oatmeal consistency and served it out in multiple dishes so that everyone could get some.

A pint would probably be a generous plenty for your bantams, maybe even just a cup.
Thank you!

I had some Sav-a-Chick packets, unopened. One packet makes a gallon of electrolytes, but I didn't need that much. I poured one packet into a Ziploc, measured it as 1/2 teaspoon. I put half of that (1/4 teaspoon) in a 2 quart bottle, added cool water, and voila!

I made mash and put the leftover Sav-a-Chick solution in a small waterer.
IMG_20230815_180109711~2.jpg

They ate some of the mash.

A line of thunderstorms is about to hit, and the breeze is delightful.

I had some Sav-a-Chick packets, unopened. One packet makes a gallon of electrolytes, but I didn't need that much. I poured one packet into a Ziploc, measured it as 1/2 teaspoon. I put half of that (1/4 teaspoon) in a 2 quart bottle, added cool water, and voila!
I use the electrolytes in the water I use to make their mash snack. The chilled fruit/veg is also a hit.

When I lock up at night, I dump out their water in a spot or two in the run. It soaks in and makes a nice cool place for a dirt bath the next day.

Haven't seen you on for a bit, hope everything is okay.

I learned my lesson on keeping so many grow-outs to choose between over the summer. Birds that people were blowing up my email box to get it spring are just not moving easy the last few months. I hope the works don't stay jammed up for you. Next year I'm going to concentrate the hatching starting as early as possible, and use some of this experience to pick through the chicks as selectively as I can. I didn't know enough about what I was looking at this year, especially working with different breeds and mixes.

Lost our boy Clifford last week. We had been nursing him through about 5 days. He had a crop issue that we couldn't resolve despite every article on here. Well, we stopped short of the surgery option because neither of us had the nerve for it. He was the kind of bird we would have paid a vet over... but we don't have any in the area. And weirdly, my big boy made it through the worst month of heat we've had, was still doing his flock & daddy duties, then when the weather cooled a bit he developed this issue. Right after I had made them a treat day of some older eggs scrambled up, but I didn't float them first and now I'm kicking myself that I may have poisoned him.
Well, most of our birds now were sired by him, so at least his kids will carry on.

Back
Top Bottom