My Hatching Journey: the Adventures of a Complete Newbie

Lockdown questions... I'm paranoid enough I'm gonna double check everything to give that blue one the best chance its got.

• Which way do you put your eggs for lockdown, side or upright in an egg container? What are the risks and benefits of each way? I'd appreciate it if styro users in particular chimed in.
  • You should put cheese cloth on the wire at day 18, correct?
  • Is the temp change from changing the level of the egg enough to cause concern if using still air?

Last edited:
Duck, lol..

Calls I lay down and hand turn... even if it's just the min 3x a day, the hatch rates are 10x better than in a turner...

Lockdown questions... I'm paranoid enough I'm gonna double check everything, (sorry) to give that blue one the best chance its got.

• What way do you put your eggs for lockdown, side or upright in an egg container? What are the risks and benifits of each way? I'd appriciate it if styro users in particular chimed in.
  • You should put cheese cloth on the wire at day 18, correct?
  • Is the temp change from changing the level of the egg enough to cause concern if using still air?

-Banti

I never hatch mine upright in my styros... I lay them down with the lowest dip of air cell up... don't use cheesecloth, that can stick to the chicks or tangle up in their nails and cause issues... I use the grip shelf liner like in my duck egg pic... gives them something stable to stand on, keeps them from getting caught in the wire grid, and makes cleanup so much easier... temps from lockdown to hatch aren't as critical as 1-18... in fact the developing chicks are generating some of their own heat so a slight drop is ok too...

I never hatch mine upright in my styros... I lay them down with the lowest dip of air cell up... don't use cheesecloth, that can stick to the chicks or tangle up in their nails and cause issues... I use the grip shelf liner like in my duck egg pic... gives them something stable to stand on, keeps them from getting caught in the wire grid, and makes cleanup so much easier... temps from lockdown to hatch aren't as critical as 1-18... in fact the developing chicks are generating some of their own heat so a slight drop is ok too...
Thank you. I have some of that shelf liner so I'll use that instead.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom