My hen is crowing! And it sounds terrible...

Chick-N-Antics

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jul 31, 2008
Olivet, MI USA
So, I had roos for awhile but had to get rid of them because they were trying to kill each other. It's been a couple months and this morning I woke up to crowing coming from my coop. I have been sleeping with the air conditioner on that last several weekds and didn't last night because I was so tired I forgot to turn it on (have been up in the night dealing with predators lately).

At about 5 am, I started to hearing crowing. It didn't really register where it was coming from because it wasn't very loud and I was out of it, but when it did I got up and went outside to find my Buff Orpington, Hortense standing on her roost crowing! It sounds like someone is choking her to get the crowing sound out of her, its strained and rather low and gravely...

Is this a result of a lack of roos? I didn't know hens were built for crowing, this doesn't hurt her somehow does it? Has she crossed over to the 'other' side and will she continue to lay?

If this has happened to you, I'd really like to hear about it and get some advice. Thanks in advance!
big_smile.png

I am double sided on this one. I had a hen that when I took the cock out for about 7 days to give him some fresh air she started crowing on that last day. It was the most GOD AWFUL sound I had ever heard before. I quicky scooped the cock back up and put him in back with her. I have heard tho that sometimes hen and cocks can go through something like a sex change naturally. She never crowed again as long as she was with a rooster. She has also just hatched out 11 babies. I dont know if I would be scared or not because with the chickens I raise, a crowing hen/spurred hen is highly reguarded. Good luck.

I am double sided on this one. I had a hen that when I took the cock out for about 7 days to give him some fresh air she started crowing on that last day. It was the most GOD AWFUL sound I had ever heard before. I quicky scooped the cock back up and put him in back with her. I have heard tho that sometimes hen and cocks can go through something like a sex change naturally. She never crowed again as long as she was with a rooster. She has also just hatched out 11 babies. I dont know if I would be scared or not because with the chickens I raise, a crowing hen/spurred hen is highly reguarded. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom