My hens won't use the nests!

smoneal

In the Brooder
May 25, 2015
Central Missouri
We set up 16 nests for our flock of 13. The hens never use them! We thought it was because of the tops so we removed the covering. Now I have one hen that stands on the top on the nests dividers. The rest hover together on the floor. I don't understand. The coop has a concrete floor and it's not hot yet. Do I need to worry about this and try to get them in the nests or just leave them be? We have tried to lacing them in the nests but the jump down.

We set up 16 nests for our flock of 13. The hens never use them! We thought it was because of the tops so we removed the covering. Now I have one hen that stands on the top on the nests dividers. The rest hover together on the floor. I don't understand. The coop has a concrete floor and it's not hot yet. Do I need to worry about this and try to get them in the nests or just leave them be? We have tried to lacing them in the nests but the jump down.
What is it you are wanting them to use the nests for? Your post doesn't read entirely clearly. Are these birds actively laying and, if so, where *are* they laying their eggs? Can you take a photo that shows your nest boxes? Have you placed any "bait" in the nests (fake eggs, golf balls, etc)?

They are not laying and have not tried any bait. Didn't know about it. I'm new to this so just figuring things out. Can't really say what I'm wanting just thought they would be using them.

I'm not an expert, but it seems to me, they won't be interested in a nest box until they r ready to lay. You don't want them in the nesting boxes to sleep, so it's probably OK they aren't interested. Mine took forever to learn to go to the coop at night, at almost 12 weeks, they still haven't started roosting on the roosts yet, so I know they'll lay eggs everywhere until they figure out the nesting boxes. Be patient
1f44d.png

They are not laying and have not tried any bait. Didn't know about it. I'm new to this so just figuring things out. Can't really say what I'm wanting just thought they would be using them.

If they are not actively laying, you don't want them to use the nest boxes. The nest box is specifically for laying eggs - that is all you want them to use it for. If you force them into using the nest boxes for other purposes (ie sleeping, laying around in pre-production, etc.) you will have nest boxes full of feces and that will mean eggs covered in feces when they do start to lay.

Do you have appropriate roosts available to the birds? Are you planning to cover the concrete floor with any sort of appropriate bedding materiel or substrate? Concrete can be quite hard on their feet and legs, especially as they move (jump) down from nests boxes, roosts, etc. You are also quite nest box heavy - it is generally recommended that you have one box for ever four hens.

something else too, you're really going to be upset you spent the time, materials and effort to build that many nests and they'll all lay in 1 or 2 of them once they start laying! LOL it's what they do! Sooner or later, you'll go out and see 2 hens in the same nest at the same time, I'll guarantee it

As long as they are laying I don't care! Lol! We already had the nests anyway so that's not a concern. Now I have more room for chickens!

Back
Top Bottom