My new LGD

I have been calling her and tring to get her to know her name. She is really scared right now.
I want to do this right. The only other dogs that I have are some retired Norfolk Terrier Champion show dogs. (various ages)
And two 1 yr old Norfolks. They are high energy, and may scare her. Any advice would help. Should I taker her around people, or just leave her with livestock?

This breeder had about 700 goats. This was a large farm. They bred Pyr's on the side. The dogs were not their main focus.

Unless you have serious human problems like theft, then yes, socialize her. Besides the part where you have her around stock, treat her like any other puppy. Take her places, even puppy class. Socialization makes for a confident guardian. Fear makes for a liability.

I wanted to take her to my parents house for Thanksgiving. There will not be too many people there, so it should not be too overwhelming, do you think??
The only thing that I worry about is the breeder told me that if they bond with people, they will not want to stay with the goats. They will try to leave them to get in the house.
Is this true?? I am all for teaching some basic obedience. Do I need to worry about her bonding with people too much??

I socialize all my dogs as puppies, I like a well rounded dog. I have 6 GP's that guard my chickens and fowl aswell as the other critters. They are part pets, part guardians. They lay and sleep with all the animals during the day... dig big holes to lay in and the chickens and geese pile in also, LOL. They lay in the hay with the horses and goats too. At night they are up guarding the perimeter fence lines..
They also come to me and greet me, if I am ok they go back to what they are doing. if my sugar is low or I feel bad my main male will walk with me. If i do not put my hand on his back he will cut in front of me and stop me. When I am back at the house he goes back to guarding again.....

7205_puppy_n_geese.jpg

7205_peaches_and_momma.jpg

7205_azland_body_pic.jpg

7205_zeena_and_pumba.jpg

Last edited:
ive never heard of an LGD with the right temperment to work becoem so overbonded to people they cant work livestock anymore...
infact ive personally found well rounded human socilization to be a HUGE asset with a working lgd, teaches them to respect humans (socilization wont make a natrually human warey suddenly friendly lol) when needed and makes a much easier handled and STABLE dog...
gives them the toold to make good desicions rather than be so warey of humans from lack of socilization its actually fear and can be dangerous.

i wouldnt worry about it. id set her up a safe crate in the goat/sheep/with the livestock, right now shes at risk of overplaying kids and being hurt by adults, so i wouldnt leave her alone directly wiht the animals, but sleeping in their presence in the saftey of a crate or pen would be a great idea.
during the day she can be mostly outside with the livestock, but when your out there go through some basics, build her confidence, teach her behaviours that can be usefull in the future (ie leash manners) play with her, shes a puppy she needs to play since she doesnt have her siblings right now....

the only place i feel that a completly unsocilized LGD is apropriate is on the plains where they HAVE to go without human intervention for days, sometimes weeks and more at a time....

And it's a good idea to familiarize the puppy with the house inside and out, provide a safe place for her such a a kennel inside and out as well as begin teaching house breaking.

LGD's are not "house dogs" and should never be treated as such​

Do you think your animals feel protected when the LGD is near them? Do you see them relax and wander in places that they normally wouldn't? etc...

Disregard what that breeder told you and spend time with that pup. She is a baby right now and needs your time, since she did not get the opportunity to spend this time with her littermates. I have heard SO many horror stories of people who thought you had to ignore these dogs to the point where they become semi-feral. They might be well-bounded with stock, but can't be handled by the owner or taken by car to a vet. I, for one, do NOT want a 150 pound dog on my place that is not bonded to me! Don't worry....she will be fine as a LGD if she loves you too. Different people have different situations. I know of some people who's LGD might need to be on duty only during the day, when the stock is out in the pasture. At night, the chickens/sheep/goats might be locked in a secure barn and the LGD sleeps in the house. For many people, one of their LDGs might be a show dog too....so it's gone some weekends while the stock are either confined or guarded by some other LDG. There are no hard and fast rules with these dogs!! Just expose that pup to as many different situations (safe ones, to build confidence) and you will end up with a well-rounded dog.

My own Anatolians are 6 months old now. I want them to be really versatile so I switch them around all the time. Eli might spend time in the pen near the house, next to a ram I have while Isaac spends time in the pasture. Then I'll switch them around. I might keep them separated for 2 or 3 weeks at a time, then I'll put them back together in the same pen. I want them to be perfectly happy apart, with stock only, or together either with or without stock. Isaac goes for rides in the truck with me a lot....he LOVES it! Eli will be entered into AKC shows later on but he rarely gets to go for rides because he does not like it. Both of them get to go for walks (on leash) and both are learning basic obedience commands and doing quite well with that so far. I simply adore these pups. they are so unlike any breed I have ever had. when I go out to the pasture and sit on the ground, they both come over to get loved on. Neither of them is jumpy bouncy puppy...constantly licking....they are both calm and sweet. I simply adore them. If I got rid of my sheep today, these dogs would stay here as pets for the rest of their lives.

Back
Top Bottom