My peahen won't eat.

TearDropSoup

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jun 4, 2014
She's usually got a big appetite and now she won't even take a bite of some of her favorite things. Please help!

Maybe some more information would help the Pea Experts to help you and your girl...

How long has she been not eating?
Is she drinking? Pooping? What does the poop look like?
Is she fluffed up? Active or lethargic? Wings normal or droopy?
Have you had unusual weather? (very hot, cold, wet, changeable)

I have been gone all day at work and my mom called and told me she wasn't eating. I assume since this morning because she ate some whole wheat bread yesterday and her feed hasn't really been touched either. She won't drink either. She only poops white. She's very droopy and her wings are hanging down. It's been very cold here lately and I've kept her inside in a cage at night so she won't have to sleep in the cold and risk dying. She also ate a hairband last week. I personally think that might be what's causing it, but I really hope not. I was trying to post a question also about birds eating elastic. I know it doesn't digest and I thought it would pass through. What could be any other reasons? And if that's what's wrong, what do I do? :(

She swallowed the elastic hair band a week and 5 days ago.... Her poop is white and bubbly and gooey. :(

It was elastic with a thin layer of cloth covering the outside, you know the usual hair bands. But now I also read that avocados are toxic to birds and she had a little bit of avocado the other day too... :(

hugs.gif

How long sence she was wormed and what did you use?
How old is she?
What do you feed her?
Can you post a photo of her taken today?
Is she with other birds and if yes what kind?

If she is not drinking, she needs to be tube fed fluids, then fluids and food or she will die. Read this:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/805728/go-team-tube-feeding

Then get a tube or 18" of aquarium air line and a 35 ml or 60 ml syringe and I will teach you how either here or on the phone. She needs 15ml per pound of Gatorade or Pedialyte now, then again in 60-90 minutes, then the same every 6 hours. Once properly hydrated, you will need to tube fluid and baby bird food.

-Kathy

My peacock has eaten some seed food with some powder wormer in it, but I'm not sure it is was enough.
I usually feed her a mix of bird feed designed for fowl. She really likes fruits and vegetables, worms and flies, and I have hand fed her fruits and vegetables a lot so she don't like eating her seed food much. I keep her inside at night and when it's really cold during the day, she hangs out inside with me like a cat or dog would.

I have some really good news though, I had some meal worms and she ate them. She also ate some flies too. She used to follow me around while I caught flies for her when she was a chick. She seems to be feeling a lot better than all night last night, but I wish she would eat more non-bug food since I don't really have any bugs because it's winter.
I really would love to know how to tube feed her because I'm trying to study to be a vet, but I'm so scared, what if I accidentally put food in her lung? I would die if I did that to my beloved Majora. :( If she gets worse, I will try! Thank you so much for the help. I really do appreciate it!

Back
Top Bottom