My PVC "True Auto" Waterer

Have you tried to use some silicone to stop the leaking. Should do the trick. Had to do it on my 1 gal waterer because the surface wasn't flat where I threaded the nipples in.

We built this waterer this weekend and we didn't have quite the luck others did.  We grabbed 3/4 schedule 40 PVC pipe not realizing the original design used thin walled PVC pipe and we had a devil of a time threading the nipples in.  We have 7 other nipple waterers, both horizontal and vertical and none of them leak, but every last nipple on this waterer leaked.

We had plenty of other - user caused trouble.  All in all, I love the design, if I could stop making mistakes and get it right.  In the meantime, my broilers are getting wet heads when they drink.

Have you tried to use some silicone to stop the leaking. Should do the trick. Had to do it on my 1 gal waterer because the surface wasn't flat where I threaded the nipples in.
We pulled the watering system out yesterday with that exact intention - to silicone the nipples, but ran out of time with the eight billion other things going on. They are using their old nipple waterers, which require refilling 4 times a day.

So what you are saying is that even with thin-walled PVC, they would still leak because the surface isn't flat? Well, if that's the case, I don't feel like such a failure.

I am going to try to put this together for my flock. My flock also contains 2 ducks that think they are chickens (or maybe my chickens think they are ducks?) Anyway, can ducks drink out of a nipple system? They will still have their pool and buckets to play in during the day, but they prefer to sleep in the run at night and one of the main reasons for setting this up is because the ducks make such a mess with the waterer.

I've been debating a similar system for some time now, purchased the nipples but they leaked terribly on the prototype. I'd be curious to know how well they work in freezing temps. I can see a warmer keeping the water in the reservoir thawed, but how do you keep the water in the 3/4" sections and the nipples from freezing?

Great design by the way. Thanks for posting.
When I was purchasing my nipples, I saw reviews about leaking nipples. It seems like some of them are just defective from poor quality control.

When I was purchasing my nipples, I saw reviews about leaking nipples. It seems like some of them are just defective from poor quality control.
The nipples themselves don't leak, they leak where they are inserted into the PVC pipe. We removed them from the PVC pipe and put them into one of our other waterers and they don't leak, so we knew that the gasket (clear rubber at the top) wasn't faulty. The nipples come in packages of four and we had three packages. They all leaked, so I'm hoping this was from the fact that they are in PVC pipe. We have several other waterers using nipples and they are in flat surfaces. They don't leak.

How high off the ground should the nipple be?
As high as the top of the chickens' heads, so when they look up, their beaks hit the nipples and the chickens don't have to stretch or jump. I've never seen ducks use them, but that doesn't mean they can't! Give it a try!

I guess i will run one length of pipe tall enough for my big girls and another slightly shorter for the bantams.

Maybe the ducks will figure them out! Otherwise I will try to devise some system for them that doesn't turn the whole bottom of the run into a mud pit. It hasn't helped that it has rained nearly every daggone day here for the past month. Perhaps with the sun finally out everyone can dry their feet!

Ya chances are they will because the surface area is rounded over a small space while the nipples are flat at the base. I used the 30 min dry time clear 100% silicone caulking and it worked great and dried fast. It's also safe for the birds.

We pulled the watering system out yesterday with that exact intention - to silicone the nipples, but ran out of time with the eight billion other things going on.  They are using their old nipple waterers, which require refilling 4 times a day.

So what you are saying is that even with thin-walled PVC, they would still leak because the surface isn't flat?  Well, if that's the case, I don't feel like such a failure.

For my ducks I picked up and auto poultry waterer from our local Cal-Ranch. It's a deep red bowl with a float contained in a metal sleeve running down the middle. $30 and it works perfect for them. Hooks straight to a hose and the high sides prevent them from coating the ground with water every time they drink while having the water level high enough for them to submerge their beak. I do have to clean it out daily but you just tip it over and swish a little new water around. I decided on this because I wanted them to be able to get their nostrils nice and moist and while I did buy cup style waterers for the chickens I felt the ducks would gunk them up. I love the waterer.

I guess i will run one length of pipe tall enough for my big girls and another slightly shorter for the bantams.

Maybe the ducks will figure them out! Otherwise I will try to devise some system for them that doesn't turn the whole bottom of the run into a mud pit. It hasn't helped that it has rained nearly every daggone day here for the past month. Perhaps with the sun finally out everyone can dry their feet!

Theyou will have water sources available for dunking outside during the day. We have a pool for them and I keep buckets around the yard. They might even find the stream behind the house if they ever think to explore! Will they be ok in the coop/run at night without a dunking source?
For my ducks I picked up and auto poultry waterer from our local Cal-Ranch. It's a deep red bowl with a float contained in a metal sleeve running down the middle. $30 and it works perfect for them. Hooks straight to a hose and the high sides prevent them from coating the ground with water every time they drink while having the water level high enough for them to submerge their beak. I do have to clean it out daily but you just tip it over and swish a little new water around. I decided on this because I wanted them to be able to get their nostrils nice and moist and while I did buy cup style waterers for the chickens I felt the ducks would gunk them up. I love the waterer.

Back
Top Bottom