My PVC "True Auto" Waterer

If there isn't a light source they won't move around at night. They will sleep so I would say yes they should be fine. But if you have any lights on they will get up to Drink. Otherwise I wouldn't worry about it as long as their is water available as soon as they wake up as they will be very thirsty.

Theyou will have water sources available for dunking outside during the day. We have a pool for them and I keep buckets around the yard. They might even find the stream behind the house if they ever think to explore! Will they be ok in the coop/run at night without a dunking source?

For my ducks I picked up and auto poultry waterer from our local Cal-Ranch. It's a deep red bowl with a float contained in a metal sleeve running down the middle. $30 and it works perfect for them. Hooks straight to a hose and the high sides prevent them from coating the ground with water every time they drink while having the water level high enough for them to submerge their beak. I do have to clean it out daily but you just tip it over and swish a little new water around. I decided on this because I wanted them to be able to get their nostrils nice and moist and while I did buy cup style waterers for the chickens I felt the ducks would gunk them up. I love the waterer.
We used this for several years for our chickens and it works great. Great idea for the ducks! We bought the one that you can nail up off the ground. We stopped using it because we grew out operation and one waterer wasn't enough so we needed to go to something else. We are going back to it for our Turkeys.

http://www.backyardchickenelearning.com/automatic-chicken-waterer/

Last edited:
Love this and would like To build it. Where were you able to find 4 inch pvc pipe? I was unable to locate at HD or Ls.

Last edited:
Love this and would like To build it. Where were you able to find 4 inch pvc pipe? I was unable to locate at HD or Ls.
Lowes had 4 inch PVC precut into 2 foot sections for 7 bucks. I had to go to HD for the flat 4 inch caps. I will tell you though, I'm going to 6 inch pipe for my next waterer (I need to build a second one this weeks) because the 4 inch was such a tight fit - but only if I can find 6 inch caps.
For thin walled pipe, try a plumbing supply store. For thick walled pipe, try a electrical supply store
I honestly didn't look hard at either HD or Lowes for the thin walled. I might be able to get it at either of them.

Just installed this in the coop and the next one in size up in the run. My girls figured out the first day. Best thing is always fresh water.

For thin walled pipe, try a plumbing supply store. For thick walled pipe, try a electrical supply store
I've looked everywhere and no one carries Schedule 30, or thin walled PVC. I called every plumbing supply and even plumbing contractors in my area and they've never even heard of it. Looks like we're going to have to stick with Schedule 40. If the original designer ever pops in, please let us know where you got the PVC pipe from. Thanks

Same here Lelilamom, I'm having a heck of a time finding Sch 30, especially the 4 inch pipe. I assume this particular piece especially needs to be Sch 30 so the valve fits, even if I do decide to brave the Sch 40 for the rest of it. Ugh, it seemed so very doable at the beginning.

--Discouraged

Same here Lelilamom, I'm having a heck of a time finding Sch 30, especially the 4 inch pipe. I assume this particular piece especially needs to be Sch 30 so the valve fits, even if I do decide to brave the Sch 40 for the rest of it. Ugh, it seemed so very doable at the beginning.

--Discouraged
I've got PVC nipple waterers with the thicker PVC. Some of the nipples are screwed into the PVC cap if they are an upright version, which is really thick.

It should work with Sch 40 PVC. Make sure you use a wide enough diameter PVC tubing that the threaded part of the nipple waterer has room to fit inside w/o rubbing; at least 3/4 inch? 1 inch?
And make sure you use the exact drill bit size they recommend. Then, you could put some plumber's tape on the part you screw in, along with silicone caulking right over the top. Or, just the silicone caulking, but either way, smear the silicone caulking generously over the threads of the nipple waterer.

Then screw in firmly. Let this dry overnight.

I hope this works!

Oh, and @Lelilamom and @jrtmouse , are your nipple waterers leaking where they screw into the PVC?
My suggestions were for that.

IF they are just continually dripping but the base is dry, as far as you can tell, then there is a way to address that too.

Back
Top Bottom