my rooster might not be a rooster?

CaelHawthorn

In the Brooder
Sep 4, 2021
I have a one and a half year old black copper maran rooster, and we've been pretty sure he's a rooster (he's got a rooster tail, and mates with the girls. We got a bloody-insided egg a week or two ago that must've sat under a broody hen for a day two long), but he's...very strange. He's the first rooster we've kept (we had another rooster in a batch of pullets, but he was a jerk and yelled in the mornings so he went to a family friend's farm), and I'm not sure how typical his behavior is for a rooster raised without an older rooster around.
He goes broody (plucks his breast and everything), doesn't crow in the mornings, doesn't tidbit the girls (not sure if I used that right but whatever), and he's the third-lowest in a flock of twelve other girls, including six that were introduced alongside him (so it's not just a matter of seniority). The only roostery thing he does is mate with (some of) the girls, and even his appearance is not that roostery.
Like, this is an adult chicken. His tail is NOT very roostery, and his sister (confirmed to lay eggs) has a much bigger comb than him. We were thinking he might be intersex, but I've not heard of a chicken like him (one that isn't split cleanly down the middle).
Edit because I can't figure out how to cleanly reply to this post: there's also his sister, Crow, who barely lays eggs, has a very large comb, and is quite standoffish and mean. We're 100% sure she's laid eggs, just rarely, and we're 100% sure that Phoenix, the roo, is the one fertilizing the girls. We got these guys shipped to us as chicks, so we're not sure what eggs they came in, but Phoenix was supposed to be an olive egger hen instead of a black copper maran rooster(?) and I was wondering if, had they been a double-yolked egg or something, if that could explain it? (Crow is up top right, if you click on the picture.)
Edit again: please stop replying to this. I can't figure out how to delete it, but I'm tired of arguing. I guess we'll figure it out on our own.

Attachments

• IMG_20210904_130431710_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20210904_130431710_HDR.jpg
    595.3 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:
We've seen him mating with the girls, so he's at least not completely a hen lol
Actually, the most probable reason that she’s mating the other pullets/hens is because there is no male for them.

It is usually the hen highest in the pecking order that mates the others, so that’s a little odd. But some hens crow like roosters! So I guess some traits of m/f aren’t specific to one gender.

You did use tidbit right, and roosters don’t go broody. Both genders pluck their breasts, though.
That's what we thought too! We could find nothing online about roosters going broody, but we've seen him sitting on eggs, and when we lift up the nestbox roof, he shrills and puffs up his feathers and chuffs like a broody hen, which is definitely not typical rooster behavior

That is a hen.
That bird is a hen.
Hens can be dominant and mount other females.
I hear what you're saying, but like. we have had viable eggs from him mating with the hens. Isn't that, like, the most surefire sign of being a rooster, or at least not a hen? It's getting a little bit frustrating to defend the fact that he's not solidly a hen to every new person that replies, like, we've had chickens for six years, we're not newbies to it. I apologize if I sound mad, but this is my chicken, and we have proof that he's fertilized the hens.

I hear what you're saying, but like. we have had viable eggs from him mating with the hens. Isn't that, like, the most surefire sign of being a rooster, or at least not a hen? It's getting a little bit frustrating to defend the fact that he's not solidly a hen to every new person that replies, like, we've had chickens for six years, we're not newbies to it. I apologize if I sound mad, but this is my chicken, and we have proof that he's fertilized the hens.

Pics of entire flock please.
Pics of fertilized eggs showing the bullseye please.

The bird in the pic is indeed a female.

Back
Top Bottom