My rooster tried to attack me.

groovimum

In the Brooder
12 Years
Dec 17, 2007
Hi all I raised Blackie from a wee chick and has always been quite friendly. The other day he turned on me not sure why. Maybe it was the colour of my top maybe he thought I was going to hurt his girls. So 2 days later I went into the chook pen armed (with a spray bottle) that seems to have done the trick. He now takes a wide birth.Can anyone tell me if this has happened to them

if hes got girls he will do that to protect them and if not he wants to be the dominate roo either way i had that happen to me and i quickly let him know i am the dom. roo and it didnt ever happen again.

I've had an ongoing disagreement with my roo. The first time he attacked. I picked up one of 'his' flock and he took exception to that. He got a quick attitude adjustment. We have had other incidences, but they were half hearted and every time he showed aggression toward me I gave him an adjustment. I think he finally gets it that I am alpha. I'm able to go in the coop and pick up whoever without him getting aggressive, but it has been a process. A roo protects the flock and they take their jobs seriously. But you are way bigger and stronger than him and he needs to know that.

You just need to show him that you are head Roo and if that means a few more times with the squirt bottle than so be it.

my rooster almost blinded me because he doesnt think im the head roo. to him at least! i am to the other 4 but not him, so teach him now before something bad happens.

Yeah, they can get kind of gutsy about going after someone when they think they are dominant. If you cant re-train him to think otherwise, he's probably better off as soup.....

Roosters are supposed to protect their flock. That's their job and that's what is in-bred in them to do. Some Roosters see people (even people who lovingly raised them) as a potential danger to 'his' girls and will thus attack. Often, around the five to six months age mark, a sweet Roo will all of a sudden start becoming aggressive to people. You need to immediately step in and show him who's boss. Some times you can become top Roo and sometimes you can't. A Roo is a very dangerous animal and if you can't dominate him - he needs to be stew or rehomed; especially if you have young children around.

I was dominant over our first Roo but he started to attack my children. They just weren't physically able to show him who was boss. We rehomed him to a lady who has no children but needed a Roo to protect her flock of hens. He's doing great there.

Check out Rooster Reds signature line. He has an excellent article on Roosters and how to deal with them.

i have a really nice roo, but he's actually a game WE WOULD NEVER FIGHT we just got him from a chick and didn't know what he was, but one night he just attacked me and every other night after that, but only at night???....but all we did was get rid of two other roosters and he was all better!
big_smile.png
big_smile.png

I think the water bottle a few times should be enough... maybe even a broom to the butt a couple times. The water bottle works for my cat most the time...

Just remind him you're in charge there. If it gets worse... then thats another story. :|

Back
Top Bottom