My son's (9) mental health crisis...UPDATE - HE's HOME!!

arlee453

Songster
12 Years
Aug 13, 2007
near Charlotte NC
DH and I had to face the heartwrenching task last night of comitting our 9 yr old son to an inpatient child/adolescent mental health unit at a hospital here. In general, he's ADHD and has anxiety disorder but is a super sweet and loving child who just worrys a bit too much and has a short attention span - a delightful kid overall (even if I do say so myself)

Last night he confessed to me that, starting on Saturday evening, he has been hearing a 'demon' in his head telling him to do horrible things to people (like kill them, cut their legs off, etc) and nightmares to go with it. He was SO frightened - it breaks my heart that he lived with this for a few days before finally telling me about it. The good part is that at least he said that he knew the voice was not a real person and could not really follow through on the threats he was hearing, nor make him really do anything, so he hasn't lost touch with reality, but the bad news is that many times these 'voices' can get worse and worse until the person affected can't control their responses as well anymore (worst case..)

Needless to say, this was a terribly frightening experience for us to - we are so worried about him and what this means for him. The worst thing is we are not allowed to stay with him at the hospital, so we can only visit and phone calls in the evening.

The Dr is optimistic that he will be fine and will get to come home after a short stay. I am so praying that we can find a cause for this episode and a fix or good coping/medication to help him if it is a more long term thing.

For those of you who do, please say a prayer for Jacob - to give him strength to do what he needs to do to beat this thing and get home soon!

He's so sweet - I suppose that most of the kids on that unit are there for having actually acted out in some hostile way or some other serious mental disorder - the staff just keeps talking about what a great kid he is and how sweet and how they want to get him home ASAP. The lady who did intake last night told me that the mental health person at the local ER where we went first was literally crying over the phone to her about our son and what a great kid he was and how sad she was for him with what was going on.

Anyway - thanks for the kind thought in advance! Anyone have any similar experience with a young child like this? I'm looking for any words of encouragement or 'been there, done that'

Oh, and I do have to say that it seemed like a good sign that when we were admitted to the hospital, the RN doing the paperwork asked how he got a scratch on his leg. He told her it was from helping me build a run for our chickens. She said they had a flock of 40 chickens in their urban backyard and so we had to talk chickens briefly at 3am in the middle of all the other craziness.

Susan

Last edited:
I'm sorry!!! I have nothing else to say other than as soon as I stop typing this I will pray for your child and your family.

Wow. That's a heavy load. I must admit that you are a GREAT parent if your son can be so honest with you. Sending him for help must have been very hard but you made the right choice. My mom was in a hospital for two weeks (for her bi-polar) and they taught her how to take control of her life, etc.
I have anxiety disorder and it is a tough thing to have. The fact this came out early in his life is great because there are so many treatments out there to help him. I didn't get help until I was 18 and it took years and years to reverse damage. Not only will medication help him greatly, what they are teaching him in the hospital will affect his life in a positive way. They will teach him how to control panic attacks, social anxieties, general anxieties and hopefully they can teach him to control voices, too.
Kudos to you and DH for doing what's best for your son. You and your family will be in my thoughts and prayers. Keep us updated!

Well, my brother is A.D.H.D. And he takes aderol he has never acted out in such way but other then that, We have a loopy doctor we had to see after our parents got divorced and he said my brother was A.D.H.D. and that I was A.D.D. I said there was nothing wrong with me and he made me take pills that made me feel depressed, emtional, and very ill...after of short time of hiding my pills I felt like my old self again maybe even better, I asked my father why I needed to take them he said to help you in school...(I didnt see why sence I was A, B student.) After all that I have been off the pills for 4 years and I have been fine. Never failed school or anything, I think the doctor was just wacked in the head and was trying to make some pay selling persrciptions.

Take this with a grain of salt, but I thought I'd mention it because I'm just trying to help.

I just watched a show the other day, Dr. Keith I believe. A girl on the show said she was hearing voices too and it started at an early age. Her parents where awesome to say the least, they did everything they could to find out what was going on. The family is very religious and the girl felt that she was going to go to hell if these demonish voices didn't leave her alone. It ended up that she had OCD. Obsessive compulsive disorder. So maybe check into that also.

The GOOD news is she has been getting treatments and therapy and she is 18 now and able to go off to college on her own.

I'm praying for your family now.

Thank you all for your kind thoughts.

I wouldn't be surprized if OCD is part of his problem. AND his 'voice' is very much like you described - he said it tells him he's going to go to hell and the 'voice' is going to make him do bad things so he'll go to hell, stuff like that. Also his nightmares have a religious side to them.

All that is unexpected as we are regular church goers, but we don't really focus on the 'fire and brimstone' side of Christianity - we talk more about the love of God, etc.

We go this morning to talk to the Drs and such. I'm hoping he had a good night last night and slept good with no nightmares. Fingers crossed he will get to come home in a few more days!

Anyway, thanks again for all your responses and also the PMs I received too!

Susan

I can't say I have experienced this but, My prayers are with you and your family at this time of crisis. I wish the best for you and I am so happy to see loving parents are handling this.

My thoughts and prayers are with you at this difficult time. As hard as it may be to imagine, this is probably a positive thing. Just think how good of a parent you are that your son felt safe in sharing his dilemma. You must be doing a great job that he was not ashamed or fearful and sought you out for help. And you have taken the correct steps in seeking treatment even though it probably is killing you.
As a nurse, I can tell you to relax about the religious connotations associated with his nightmares. That is very common regardless of the families association (or lack thereof) with the church. Keep you faith and don't question your beliefs. Right now, that is the rock you hold on to and will get you thru this.
With the proper diagnosis and treatment this just might be a minor blip on the radar screen of your son's life. And might have saved you a world of heartache later on.
PM me if you need an ear.

Back
Top Bottom