My tractor build - Fhlockston Paradise

Corbin_Dallas

In the Brooder
Jul 6, 2022
Central Ohio
I fiugred I would contribute to the build idea bank with some pics of my tractor build.

It started life as a Shelter Logic portable garage that served well for many years but finally succumbed to sun/snow.

I purchased a replacement green house cover, mounted it to skids, added cattle panels and collar ties to hopefully remedy the snow issue, triangulated the uprights and added end structure to make it more sturdy for moving. Varying size hardware cloth provides protection and supports the tarp in wind conditions.

I'm still buttoning up odds and ends but had to move the chicks in yesterday.

Still to do: Roosting bars, nest boxes, sand box, second water jug & bar, shade tarp bar, cameras and possibly predator anti-digging 'wings' along the perimeter.

So far the tractor has made multiple trips up and down the property without any structural issues. The perimeter boards flattens the grass but a quick rake prevents brown spots. I've yet to stake it to the ground during storms; the one storm we had with 15-20mph winds I simply tucked it behind a stand of trees. I positioned the mounting feet on the boards anticipating sand tubes if need be.

Attachments

• PXL_20220524_002809863.jpg
    PXL_20220524_002809863.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 58
  • PXL_20220706_131107838.jpg
    PXL_20220706_131107838.jpg
    833.2 KB · Views: 18
  • PXL_20220706_131230855.jpg
    PXL_20220706_131230855.jpg
    929.2 KB · Views: 16
  • PXL_20220706_131241741.jpg
    PXL_20220706_131241741.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 26
As the tractor gets moved every day, the roosting bars will either have to be free floating or able to be retracted for travel. Any thoughts on something like this? Current layout would put them facing south if that matters at all.

Interestingly they haven't fully taken to roosting bars. We had a bad storm last night and after some coaxing I managed to get half of them off the ground and up on some low bars I made for their brooder. They are so big now the were able to sit on the bars and still lace their heads/necks together just like they do sleeping in a pile. If they are going to stick with this behavior I may skip the tiered bars and go for a single level setup.

Attachments

• perch-folded.JPG
    perch-folded.JPG
    89.7 KB · Views: 29
  • internal-perch.JPG
    internal-perch.JPG
    122.1 KB · Views: 33
As the tractor gets moved every day, the roosting bars will either have to be free floating or able to be retracted for travel. Any thoughts on something like this? Current layout would put them facing south if that matters at all.

Interestingly they haven't fully taken to roosting bars. We had a bad storm last night and after some coaxing I managed to get half of them off the ground and up on some low bars I made for their brooder. They are so big now the were able to sit on the bars and still lace their heads/necks together just like they do sleeping in a pile. If they are going to stick with this behavior I may skip the tiered bars and go for a single level setup.
Looks good. I love your reference to the 5th element. 🤣

That's pretty awesome, I like the idea. You can also hinge roosts to go up and hang from the top when not in use, if the structure is strong enough to hold the weight.

How old are your birds? All chicks? If they're all young they may take some time to begin roosting reliably, if there's no older birds to show them how. Tiered or single level roosts are fine, just remember to have them far enough apart (14-16" or more) so they can't peck at each other across roosts once they get older.

Looks good. I love your reference to the 5th element. 🤣
Favorite movies for animals are a family theme.

That's pretty awesome, I like the idea. You can also hinge roosts to go up and hang from the top when not in use, if the structure is strong enough to hold the weight.

How old are your birds? All chicks? If they're all young they may take some time to begin roosting reliably, if there's no older birds to show them how. Tiered or single level roosts are fine, just remember to have them far enough apart (14-16" or more) so they can't peck at each other across roosts once they get older.
I've been playing mama hen and placing them. Worked well with brooder plate early on, taking longer with tractor / roosting bars. All chics, I'll have to check with better half to confirm exactly how many weeks. 20 'lorp hens, 5 roos, 4 Sussex hens, 5 roos. We were pretty sure Australorps were the bird for us but Sussex also seemed like a good fit so we added a few.

Back
Top Bottom