My wife and I just had that "We need to talk"conversation...

There's a Tractor Supply about an hour and a half away from my place. I know they sell chicks but if I'm ordering a specific kind my only option is mail order.Not that many people deal with Leghorns in my area,if they do,they're white.
My order came with Grow Gel. The chicks arrived alive, were all strong,and alert. I put them on water with electrolytes, some garlic, and apple cider vinegar. Thank God they all survived.I've heard that some people have problems with mail-order chicks from anywhere not just one particular place.
Sorry to hear about your bad experience.
I have bought from them 2 previous times; but this time, they where all sick. And pretty sure they all came sick. Why? Because I had them with my own hatched ones; and only they died. It was very odd. I was fuming. 1 by one. 125$ down the tube + the price of feed.
And I have been raising eggs for years..

Just hatching my own now. Was so disappointed that I bought ducks; and also Guineas: and oh boy.. the night mare was worse..!! Never again with Guineas. They are too wild!! They get on my neighbors roof and join in on my dogs barking at the neighbor while he walks his dog.. they start cracking away from one side of the house to the next while getting on top of the fence!! Jajaja

I have bought from them 2 previous times; but this time, they where all sick. And pretty sure they all came sick. Why? Because I had them with my own hatched ones; and only they died. It was very odd. I was fuming. 1 by one. 125$ down the tube + the price of feed.
And I have been raising eggs for years..

Just hatching my own now. Was so disappointed that I bought ducks; and also Guineas: and oh boy.. the night mare was worse..!! Never again with Guineas. They are too wild!! They get on my neighbors roof and join in on my dogs barking at the neighbor while he walks his dog.. they start cracking away from one side of the house to the next while getting on top of the fence!! Jajaja
I hear from my neighbors that one of the benefits of guineas is that they do a number on ticks and other pests as well.

Now Peafowl.
Those I see them on top of neighbor's roofs even on the taller two story homes. The singing that they do is peculiar.
They are feral around here, travel in flocks and tear up your flowers if you have that type if landscaping.

This was funny. I clicked on it cause it sounded a little close to home.
I got out of a marriage for other reasons but my chicken dreams had been shut down for a few years.
If I ever decide to go that route again this will be a talk we have upfront. Happy for you both being on the same page. Good luck with chicks. I too hope to be receiving some come spring.

Did you guys think this was going to be a different type of post??
Absolutely not! Chicken Math is serious matter. If not approached rationally, it can quickly become an out-of-control disease. You are both extremely wise to plan for that ahead of time. However, you must be vigilant. CM is insidious and persistent. It lurks in strange recesses ... like feed stores and TSC, just waiting to rear its ugly head again. You have NOT seen the last of it ...
Be strong! Build BIGGER!

Absolutely not! Chicken Math is serious matter. If not approached rationally, it can quickly become an out-of-control disease. You are both extremely wise to plan for that ahead of time. However, you must be vigilant. CM is insidious and persistent. It lurks in strange recesses ... like feed stores and TSC, just waiting to rear its ugly head again. You have NOT seen the last of it ...
Be strong! Build BIGGER!
The trap I didn't want to fall into is not having the correct setup to maintain a clean environment for the birds.My wife and I breed parrots and early on we knew that cleanliness is paramount and we figured we would just parlay it to chicken keeping/breeding. I knew if I ordered the amount of birds I really wanted in the beginning, with my schedule and other activities, it would be hard to keep up with the cleaning and sanitation. We are getting close to being ready for more chickens and by spring when the chicks arrive ,hopefully safe and sound,we should be able to accommodate them without skipping a beat.

Trust the Plan.

Back
Top Bottom