Mysterious blue egg

^^^ this is true - BUT the egg count is wrong too - she shows 3 eggs and then 4 eggs different colored. Now you can get more eggs than hens, usually depending when and how often the person collects eggs. But if she has three hens, each hen's distinctive egg color is there plus a 4th egg...I think that is another hen.
I aggre. I mentioned above my EE lays various shades but the difference is not that large. Plus the egg is bigger than the others.

I have 3 hens a rooster and 5 chicks (8 weeks old) the 3 hens have been consistently laying an egg a day for a year. The first hen (who started the whole flock by showing up in my yard and hatching eggs) is a game hen. Small, muscular and mean. She lays cream colored eggs. The second hen is an austrolorp mix and lays olive eggs. The third is a welsummer mix and lays pinkish brown eggs. The first picture shows these three different colors.

So…today I went to collect eggs and I noticed an egg that was not in the nesting boxes but on the opposite side of the coop by the door. I thought it looked weird but grabbed it and brought it in. Then I really looked at it and it is a light blue! It’s also bigger than my other eggs. I cracked it because it looked so weird I thought it was fake. It looked totally normal.

I don’t think it’s relevant, but just in case the rooster is a barred rock and the chicks are mixes of all the above…
View attachment 3494515View attachment 3494516View attachment 3494518

When you Crack open your green egg what color is the  inside of the shell?

usually depending when and how often the person collects eggs. But if she has three hens, each hen's distinctive egg color
I agree, whether this is one day's eggs or possibly two is critical to unravelling the mystery, because it's highly unlikely (but not impossible) that one hen laid 2 eggs in less than 24 hours.

But on distinctive egg colours, I recently learned that hens quite often produce a variable, incomplete or even no bloom, and if that bloom lends a lot of the colour to the hen's egg, then it is more difficult to be sure who laid it when the bloom's less than normal.

Sorry for any confusion…those eggs in the picture were just examples and not all from the same day. As an update, I did not get a green egg the day I found the blue one. Yesterday another bluish egg in the nesting box and no green egg again, so I’m thinking those who said my green layer was the culprit are correct.

My question now is should I be concerned about Dolly laying without the bloom?

For reference the newest egg is the one in the front right. Not as blue as the one the day before…
IMG_9711.jpeg

My question now is should I be concerned about Dolly laying without the bloom?
The brown is a 'coating', the bloom is something different(also known as the 'cuticle' and the last thing applied before laying.
No need to worry about a lack of coating, I've found that many olive eggers can be notoriously inconsistent in coating appearance.

Back
Top Bottom