Mysterious blue egg

Accidentalchickenmom314

In the Brooder
May 5, 2023
I have 3 hens a rooster and 5 chicks (8 weeks old) the 3 hens have been consistently laying an egg a day for a year. The first hen (who started the whole flock by showing up in my yard and hatching eggs) is a game hen. Small, muscular and mean. She lays cream colored eggs. The second hen is an austrolorp mix and lays olive eggs. The third is a welsummer mix and lays pinkish brown eggs. The first picture shows these three different colors.

So…today I went to collect eggs and I noticed an egg that was not in the nesting boxes but on the opposite side of the coop by the door. I thought it looked weird but grabbed it and brought it in. Then I really looked at it and it is a light blue! It’s also bigger than my other eggs. I cracked it because it looked so weird I thought it was fake. It looked totally normal.

I don’t think it’s relevant, but just in case the rooster is a barred rock and the chicks are mixes of all the above…
IMG_9622.jpeg
IMG_9625.jpeg
IMG_9626.jpeg

Thanks guys!

I actually have a camera at the door to the run, so unless a very stealthy chicken snuck in and laid a blue egg and snuck out, I think it has to be one of my girls somehow.

I live in Lancaster, CA in North Los Angeles County. I’m not in a very rural area so while a few people nearby keep chickens, I don’t think any of them free range. I still have no idea where Henrietta (my game hen) came from, but she was in really bad shape when she showed up. Scrawny, mite infested and missing feathers.

Mine only free range for about 3-5 hours a day because when they are out, the dogs have to be locked inside. So there would be a very limited opportunity to get into the run and then into the coop.

Maybe I’ll try and get another camera set up inside the coop to see what exactly is going on in there!

That was my thought as well. Are they not olive? That was the description that came to mind when Dolly first started laying and before I knew olive eggs were a thing. 🤷🏻‍♀️
It's all in the eye of the beholder.
I just prefer "olive" eggs to be close to olive color. But I also have nothing to do with olives so maybe idk what color they actually are. :lau

Back
Top Bottom