Naked Neck/Turken Thread

The babies are two weeks old now, growing quickly and feathering out nicely. I may finally have my white NN, and I also have a platinum one I suspect will turn out to be a splash. Here are a few of my favorites so far.

Chick 1 - From the moment it hatched I suspected this one was a cockerel, and he's continuing to 'proclaim his masculinity'. He's also the largest bird I've hatched for his age, weighing in at over 7 ounces by week 2.

Chick 6 - Probably another cockerel, but I do love the coloring, size, shape and temperament so far.

Chick 7 - My platinum silvery chick. This is the one I suspect will be a splash. It's either Marilyn, or Monroe.

Chick 8 - This one's definitely looking to be a pullet. She's a bossy little thing too. Just look at that expression, LOL!

Chick 9 - My feathered leg little chick. It's a dark slate grey in color right now.

Chick 11 - I may FINALLY have my white NN.

Chick 13 - My puffy-cheeked EE/NN chick that is SUPER affectionate.

cute chicks.

such a big tail at 3 weeks usually means a girl. but wait and see.

I think, with this group, the tail feather growth isn't going to mean anything. I have quite a few that look like they're starting to pink up in the comb with good tail feather growth. Then I have some others that still have nubs that look more like pullets...I suppose we'll find out in just a few short weeks
lol.png

Anywho, I took more pics today. Of course, there's not quite enough light in there for good photos, so they are what they are ;) If you see a girl in the mix, shout! LOL I think most are boys, honestly.

I think this is a girl. I have a similarly colored one that I'm less sure about, and then another that's reddish-brown that I'm not sure about.

Phyllis! I'm still feeling like Phyllis is a girl.

She's got a pea comb though so....

You see that? Phyllis is RUMPLESS! I am still so dang excited about that!

Phyllis is in the center here. Boy on the left, not certain on the right. The black tips on the comb mess with me. Think boy though.

This is my flashy boy.

The babies are two weeks old now, growing quickly and feathering out nicely. I may finally have my white NN, and I also have a platinum one I suspect will turn out to be a splash. Here are a few of my favorites so far. Chick 1 - From the moment it hatched I suspected this one was a cockerel, and he's continuing to 'proclaim his masculinity'. He's also the largest bird I've hatched for his age, weighing in at over 7 ounces by week 2. Chick 6 - Probably another cockerel, but I do love the coloring, size, shape and temperament so far. Chick 7 - My platinum silvery chick. This is the one I suspect will be a splash. It's either Marilyn, or Monroe. Chick 8 - This one's definitely looking to be a pullet. She's a bossy little thing too. Just look at that expression, LOL! Chick 9 - My feathered leg little chick. It's a dark slate grey in color right now. Chick 11 - I may FINALLY have my white NN. Chick 13 - My puffy-cheeked EE/NN chick that is SUPER affectionate.
Is that platinum one the look alike to my porcelain one?

So, I just just got back from spending a week in Utah, getting some business done, and couldn't help myself... I ended up taking the leftovers from Cynthia's recent hatch back home to AZ with me. haha! Hubby isn't too happy, but he'll live. She says these are from both DesertChic and Draye, but can't remember which is from which batch.

Here they are settling into their new brooder.

This one is the biggest by far than the rest of them, either a early hatch or just big genes, and by his attitude I'm thinking it's gotta be a cockerel. He's making it a habit to run up and peck me immediately whenever I stick my hand in the brooder, and is the most dramatic about getting picked up and held. Just basically a little punk.

This is another that I predict is a cockerel. He's also the polar opposite of the punk. Inquisitive, and in no hurry to get away when held. The friendliest of the whole bunch. And has some interesting blue barring going on.

This is the third one that I suspect is a cockerel, but only by flight feather sexing. It could just be a late bloomer. Very beautiful dark red/brown partridge maybe? Very shy and the hardest to catch.

These two I'm 99% positive are girls and are so sweet and gentle. A little shy about being picked up, but settle down very fast.

There's two that look to be just all black plummage that I'm also about 99% sure are pullets.

But the second of those two has be a little concerned. She's grown in some twisted feathers, mainly the inner primaries, but the ends of her primaries and tail feathers look a little not right two. At first glance I thought maybe she had a little frizzle in her, but after looking a bit harder I think something happened to her feather growth. Will just have to wait and see how her second phase feathers come in.

So, I just just got back from spending a week in Utah, getting some business done, and couldn't help myself... I ended up taking the leftovers from Cynthia's recent hatch back home to AZ with me. haha! Hubby isn't too happy, but he'll live. She says these are from both DesertChic and Draye, but can't remember which is from which batch.

Here they are settling into their new brooder.

This one is the biggest by far than the rest of them, either a early hatch or just big genes, and by his attitude I'm thinking it's gotta be a cockerel. He's making it a habit to run up and peck me immediately whenever I stick my hand in the brooder, and is the most dramatic about getting picked up and held. Just basically a little punk.

This is another that I predict is a cockerel. He's also the polar opposite of the punk. Inquisitive, and in no hurry to get away when held. The friendliest of the whole bunch. And has some interesting blue barring going on.

This is the third one that I suspect is a cockerel, but only by flight feather sexing. It could just be a late bloomer. Very beautiful dark red/brown partridge maybe? Very shy and the hardest to catch.

These two I'm 99% positive are girls and are so sweet and gentle. A little shy about being picked up, but settle down very fast.

There's two that look to be just all black plummage that I'm also about 99% sure are pullets.

But the second of those two has be a little concerned. She's grown in some twisted feathers, mainly the inner primaries, but the ends of her primaries and tail feathers look a little not right two. At first glance I thought maybe she had a little frizzle in her, but after looking a bit harder I think something happened to her feather growth. Will just have to wait and see how her second phase feathers come in.

LOL! I see some familiar patterns in that group! You definitely got a few from my flock.

Have I said lately how much I HATE processing adult roos?????? Well, it can't be repeated enough, every time I say "That is the last time I do that" but then find myself in a spot where it needs doing again.

I finally did it, I invited Stripey Butt to dinner. Several weeks ago I posted how he was being aggressive towards me, well it escalated to picking on a few of his hens. I considered offering him for sale for local pick up b/c he wasn't being aggressive to Gary. But this week his aggression just got to far out of hand for anyone to tolerate. He started attacking ALL his hens. I'm not talking rough or unwanted breeding, I'm talking running jump kicks broadsiding the hens knocking them down!!!! I've never seen such behavior even hens he regularly bred. I was almost hoping to see something wrong internally to explain this but he was pristine.

I have to say except for the adult roo connective tissue processing was amazing, I kept thinking I was forgetting somthing, no skinning no boiling water, no feather mess.

Back
Top Bottom