Naked Neck/Turken Thread

My poor Gladys had a pretty serious bumble foot, actually had it in both feet, but, got a pretty good sized plug out of the one. First problem with this in a couple of yrs.
20170729_091539.jpg
20170729_095042.jpg

She's an older one I've had for a while.. lays an egg almost every day, will see what happens for a while now. Yes, poor baby, she was running to the door right after I put her out, but now she is laying down. Of course it's warmed up out there, they all are pretty much laying around. Hot again. :(

OMG! So I met up today with a guy I've been trying to get hatching eggs from for awhile now. I guess his NN's were out to free range so he's not selling their eggs right now, but is selling Bresse eggs, so I said sure I'll take some of those. He did say he had some NN hens he'd sell me though, that he had two black ones so I said yes please.. Turns out there's one more black NN hen he forgot he had and will bring it next weekend. I got to talking to him and not only did the Bresse flock these eggs are from come from hatching eggs brought (more like snuck in) straight from France (Not Greenfire or Canada..), but these NN's are from hatching eggs brought over straight from Romania, too! Apparently with his veterinary license he can import eggs from europe. These are true Transylvania Naked Necks!!!! I totally have perma-grin right now!!!!!
0729171342c.jpg
0729171341.jpg

OMG! So I met up today with a guy I've been trying to get hatching eggs from for awhile now. I guess his NN's were out to free range so he's not selling their eggs right now, but is selling Bresse eggs, so I said sure I'll take some of those. He did say he had some NN hens he'd sell me though, that he had two black ones so I said yes please.. Turns out there's one more black NN hen he forgot he had and will bring it next weekend. I got to talking to him and not only did the Bresse flock these eggs are from come from hatching eggs brought (more like snuck in) straight from France (Not Greenfire or Canada..), but these NN's are from hatching eggs brought over straight from Romania, too! Apparently with his veterinary license he can import eggs from europe. These are true Transylvania Naked Necks!!!! I totally have perma-grin right now!!!!!View attachment 1094650 View attachment 1094651

Oh wow. Enjoy improving your flock... wow.

They're actually a bit smaller than I expected, but they are hens. I haven't seen his roosters. They seem to have fairly calm personalities so far and are exploring and eating. Definitely in the middle of molting though, with all those pin feathers. I'm really looking forward to breeding them with one or two of my cockerels once they're old enough and see what I get!

Our NN pullet is 4 mo. going on 5. Any idea when we should expect her to start laying? Almost all of the other chickens her age are laying (White Rock, Cinnamon Queen, Orpington). Her paramour is a couple of months behind her, so we won't be breeding them till next Spring - about May - June when it starts to warm up - - Winters here get too cold for chix IMO .... the store where we bought her didn't sell cockrels, so I had to order one from a hatchery a couple of months later, when I bought some CornishX (which are now in the freezer!). I like the NNs and the Brahmas, she likes the Orps and Australorps - the Cinnamons and White Rock were hatchery mistakes, so as long as they are laying they are safe from the freezer. Our Brahma chix are 1 mo. old now, so they should be old enuff by Sept. - Oct. when the Winter cold gets here.

Back
Top Bottom