Naked Neck/Turken Thread

@Kev Here's GABoy's NN Broiler. For reference that is a 3.5-4" wood post she is standing on. Her feet are getting huge and she's as big around as my brahma.

I'm Kev and I'm loving the bird too! Thanks for pic. Is she laying yet?

Not sure if you had seen the freedom ranger cross boy I posted pic of a little bit ago? Pretty sure he would love your pullet too.... lol

When breeding for showgirls is it best to use a turken rooster and silkie hens or a silkie rooster and turken hens? I heard best to use a silkie rooster

It does not matter either way. The only issue and relatively minor one is try to use a blue legged NN if possible.

White legged might be second best... using yellow or green legged, you might see green skinned birds pop up generations later.

It's because the blue legs have genes that are 'best compatible' for the dark skin in showgirls. White legs have a gene called Id that represses skin pigmentation(it is why their legs are white instead of blue) and it also has an effect on the black skin. It is sex linked... so if you happen to use silkie roo over a white legged NN hen it will seem to come out cockerels with light skin and light legs, pullets with dark skin and legs... the cockerels still have the black skin gene it is just 'repressed' by the Id gene.

If you use the dark skinned pullets and cross back to silkies then the Id gene is no longer an issue.

I didn't have the time to make better pictures, one (light yellow) is without naked neck, but with 5 toes and feathered legs and 3 are with naked neck: the partridge one is "normal" NN (parents are on the picture below); other two (light yellow and black) are crossed with silkee (father is paint silke and mother is light brown NN).

http://shrani.si/f/1F/mJ/2EpyNPJa/p7200546.jpg

That rooster is really beautiul.

Cute babies and mom!

Hey how do you tag someone on here? I see my attempt to tag draye did not work...

Phill98 if I remember right, you wanted to see partridge/duckwing NN? Check out alije's rooster linked above in first link..

Last edited:
@Kev

In the reply section ( at least on my phone) there is an @ box hit that and a box will appear then type in the name ( user name it is on the name ex: @draye be sure to use tge small or capital letters).

Last edited:
Phill98  if I remember right, you wanted to see partridge/duckwing NN?  Check out alije's rooster linked above in first link..

Yes, I wanted to see them , thanks!
Can dark partridge cockerel have white feathers on the end of wings?
I will take picture of him as soon as grandma culls this one

beacuse in last two months he became jumpy and it isn't going any better. Cockrel isn't NN, but I have two pullets from that hatch that are, so I will picture them too.

Last edited:
I'm Kev and I'm loving the bird too! Thanks for pic. Is she laying yet?

Not sure if you had seen the freedom ranger cross boy I posted pic of a little bit ago? Pretty sure he would love your pullet too.... lol

She is. Her eggs are the same size as my other NN and they are just a light tan. Sad to say she didn't get her parents oliver egger gene.

Quick question - what's the easiest way to weigh a large (live) chicken? I tried get a weight on my Label Rouge rooster last night but he wasn't real appreciative of my attempt to put him in a bucket and hang from a fish scale method. It looked like around 13 - 14lbs (at 5 months) which seems about right.
The naked neck pullets are all about 5 lbs at 17 weeks. I need to put thme in a pen where I can monitor their egg laying and size since they should be laying very soon. Lately they've been joining my little banty cochin rooster on top of a hoop house every morning.

Back
Top Bottom