Naked Neck/Turken Thread

OK, so bear with me, I want to be CERTAIN I understand this as I think about my NN cross project.

Na is a dominant gene controlling the decreased feathering seen in the Naked Neck "breed" (not getting into what you get depending on source - my chicks will come from a hatchery, so I'm taking nothing for granted). This means that chickens that are either homozygous (Na/Na) or heterozygous (Na/na) will all have naked necks...

BUT

There is a dosage effect, such that the genotype can be accurately predicted by phenotype:
-- Na/Na will have a totally naked neck, maybe with a little tufting, but not lots. Selected individuals may uncommonly be bare all the way down over the crop and to shoulders, others just with naked necks.
-- Na/na will have a large "bowtie" in the front

SO

When I do my initial cross with another breed (New Hampshire Red in my case), then provided I am careful to only select Naked Necks for the initial breeding that show phenotype consistent with Na/Na (no big bowtie), all the F1s should be Na/na, and have bowties.

THEN

Starting with F2 crosses (and/or backcrossing the NNxNH to NN parent), over a few breedings/generations, I could theoretically use the phenotype to select for Na/Na in the hybrids, ending up with a consistent homozygous Na/Na line with added production features of the NHs (or any other NN cross, for that matter).

This PRESUMES that there isn't linkage of Na/Na to other genes associated with production qualities I'm interested in. (Anyone know if they are?)

Do I have this correct? Is it really this straightforward, or are there more complexities to Na regarding linkage, penetrance, etc.?

- Ant Farm

(edit for typo)

Yes, basically. There are a few things that can muddy the waters, like a pea comb which can interact w/ the Na gene to make an Nana appear NaNa, but the above will prove true 95 % of the time

Finally some size reference. The rouen is 5-6 months old and the black naked neck is 11 months old. The white frizzled naked neck is 8-9 months old.

Yes, basically.  There are a few things that can muddy the waters, like a pea comb which can interact w/ the Na gene to make an Nana appear NaNa, but the above will prove true 95 % of the time

Wow great info thanks so much. I LOVE genetics an I really love this breed of chicken. Im hoping to improve my flock an get some color in it as well. As far as inbreeding goes.what is the no no?? Brother's an sisters, father& daughter,or does it not matter with chickens?

@CliffB WOW Not only is she gorgeous but is indeed VERY LARGE. I forget her genetics but maybe there is a nice big White P Rock in there ? Nice pictures of the birds. How do you keep her so clean.

Well I'm not going forward with trying to cross the NN pullets with a Label Rouge, Two of my Label Rouge pullets are cut up pretty bad from the roosters. One has bumblefoot also which probably contributed to her being in worse shape. The Label Rouge pullets do seem more susceptible to feather wear than the other hens and pullets (even the ones molting right now) but still, I can't risk this. I like my girls too much. I do have a Buff Orpington hen that will mount these pullets so I guess it's possible she did it but she's significantly smaller than these roosters so it seems less likely.

I pulled out the two injured pullets tonight and started treating them. They'll stay in the garage with a fan for a bit. And tomorrow I'll set up a separate pen for the roosters. I'll end up separating the group the BO hen belongs to from these pullets in case she's part of the problem too.

I was watching feather wear but hadn't looked under the wings. I feel just awful right now that I missed this and didn't get these pullets pulled sooner. Right now I'm ready to send every rooster on the place to freezer camp.

Yes, basically. There are a few things that can muddy the waters, like a pea comb which can interact w/ the Na gene to make an Nana appear NaNa, but the above will prove true 95 % of the time

How interesting! Good to know that about the pea comb, should that arise in a cross with another breed that I try crossing with NN later.

Thanks so much!!!!

- Ant Farm

One of a few reasons I'm keeping NNs in MY breeding program...they are the only straight combed birds on the farm and that's the way it's going to stay............until all of my NNs have rose or pea combs. Then...that will be that!
lau.gif

Finally some size reference. The rouen is 5-6 months old and the black naked neck is 11 months old. The white frizzled naked neck is 8-9 months old.

I am loving this frizzled NN! I have a young flock of frizzled Easter Eggers that I'm looking forward to breeding with my NNs for this very reason. They are so cute! Just look at this bird makes me smile!

Back
Top Bottom