Naked Neck/Turken Thread

Someone mentioned something on another thread, and I thought I'd ask - what's the story regarding the risk of sunburn for NNs? Does it happen/ is it a risk? It doesn't seem so from what I can recall reading this thread, but maybe I'm missing something... (In which case I need more educating on it.)

- Ant Farm

As long as you provide areas of shade all day long for them to take refuge in you shouldn't have a problem. I know of one woman who sprays her NNs with sunscreen, but mine have never needed it, and I'd rather avoid coating my birds with chemicals.

Never had one get sunburned, not even the totally nakeds. Mine have shade available at all times, they love sunning, especially the nakeds. Some people mistakenly think the red skin is sunburned, but it is hormones, any chicken w/ exposed skin will redden like that when mature. (both male and females that are laying)

As long as you provide areas of shade all day long for them to take refuge in you shouldn't have a problem. I know of one woman who sprays her NNs with sunscreen, but mine have never needed it, and I'd rather avoid coating my birds with chemicals.

Never had one get sunburned, not even the totally nakeds. Mine have shade available at all times, they love sunning, especially the nakeds. Some people mistakenly think the red skin is sunburned, but it is hormones, any chicken w/ exposed skin will redden like that when mature. (both male and females that are laying)

Many thanks! I would always have shade available anyway, since it's so hot here (feathers or no). Good to know it's not a severe issue...

- Ant Farm

Someone mentioned something on another thread, and I thought I'd ask - what's the story regarding the risk of sunburn for NNs? Does it happen/ is it a risk? It doesn't seem so from what I can recall reading this thread, but maybe I'm missing something... (In which case I need more educating on it.)

- Ant Farm

mine have no problem and it is still too hot where I live. they hide in the shadow mid-days.

So my broody hen is sitting on six eggs, five of which are NNs, and I'm in the process of collecting more eggs from my NNs to put in the incubator. I figure this is my one chance to gather eggs that have been fertilized by the NN cockerel I'll be butchering this weekend for being mean tempered, and will possibly give me insight into whether the mean personality is a genetic trait or not. I had previously bred my mean Barred Rock cockerel and his progeny, now a gorgeous young cockerel, is one of the sweetest chickens in that flock. I'm hoping he stays that way. He's just hitting puberty and starting to take interest in the girls, and so far there's no aggression. It's an interesting time on my little farm.

I love hands-on research.
wink.png

So my broody hen is sitting on six eggs, five of which are NNs, and I'm in the process of collecting more eggs from my NNs to put in the incubator. I figure this is my one chance to gather eggs that have been fertilized by the NN cockerel I'll be butchering this weekend for being mean tempered, and will possibly give me insight into whether the mean personality is a genetic trait or not. I had previously bred my mean Barred Rock cockerel and his progeny, now a gorgeous young cockerel, is one of the sweetest chickens in that flock. I'm hoping he stays that way. He's just hitting puberty and starting to take interest in the girls, and so far there's no aggression. It's an interesting time on my little farm.

I love hands-on research.
wink.png
I spent some time with my mean cockerel, talking to him and petting him. he is a sweet roo now. but he does protect the flock, even my muscovie ducks and especially the 9 ducklings. the sweet cockerel became sweet roo but he does not protect anyone, lol.

One week old today - babies are growing so fast! They are very nimble and quick, so I was only able to get a couple of the friendly/bold NNs to weigh (none of the New Hampshires) - the black NNs all seem visibly smaller than the light ones, and the representative black NN (NN phenotype) was 2.5 oz, whereas the light NN (I think it was NN phenotype) was about 3 oz. They are in general the largest chicks in the brooder - those NNs are SOLID little things!

And they are chest bumping and baby-flying already at one week. A few of the NNs are already plotting their escape:

The NHs are holding their own just fine, no conflicts, but I had thought that if there were issues, it would be that the New Hampshires as fast growing chicks might overwhelm the NNs. It's clearly the other way around. I love these tough little fellas! (And they're so cute sleeping in their chick pile with their little naked necks draped over each other...)
love.gif

- Ant Farm

I spent some time with my mean cockerel, talking to him and petting him. he is a sweet roo now. but he does protect the flock, even my muscovie ducks and especially the 9 ducklings. the sweet cockerel became sweet roo but he does not protect anyone, lol.

My "mean" cockerel started out sweet, but his personality slowly changed until he became incredibly aggressive towards my husband and son. It was a shock to all of us when he suddenly went on the attack. He's shown a small amount of aggression towards me, but nothing too bad, but he HATES my guys, and neither my husband nor my son had ever done anything to illicit such a profoundly angry response from him. I know this rooster is more familiar with me than with them since I'm the one who handles and manages all of the chickens on a routine basis, but my guys interacted regularly with him as he matured to maintain familiarity. None of the other Turken cockerels are a problem, but this one is, perhaps because he's the dominant.

My husband especially has been incredibly supportive of my new-found chicken obsession. The least I can do in lieu of that support is remove one aggressive cockerel that seems to see my guy as a sparring partner. He'd really like to be able to walk out into our yard to mingle with the chickens without having to use me as a human shield.
wink.png

Can anyone help me with the gender of this one. It's about 3.5 months old. I'm thinking girl from lack of wattles, but I have no experience with the breed.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom