Naked Neck/Turken Thread

Anyone else working on a naked neck turken cochin bantam project?
I ended up with a calico rooster from jacobs cave... no clue who i got him from ... but now i think i want to work on that .... any turken bantams ive been able to find are usually out of gamey stuff or silkies ... =( or japs..
Found a hen yesterday though who is closer in type but clean legged... so maybe i can work with her...

I've seen them occasionally, or something similar- feather footed, fluffy birds with naked necks. Haven't seen any for couple years.. seems to have been taken over by sizzles and NN sizzles.

never seen NN mixed with japs though?!

if calico is mille fleur, either a black tail buff or red NN would be the best for crossing him with. If he is of show type, you will get good/very good types by back crossing the best NN bird from each generation to a pure cochin.

I've seen them occasionally, or something similar- feather footed, fluffy birds with naked necks.  Haven't seen any for couple years..  seems to have been taken over by sizzles and NN sizzles.

never seen NN mixed with japs though?!

if calico is mille fleur,  either a black tail buff or red NN would be the best for crossing him with.  If he is of show type,  you will get good/very good types by back crossing the best NN bird from each generation to a pure cochin.  

I think the LF Cochins would be interesting to cross. I may have to try that next year.

Quote:
didn't answer your question as I did not know if the larges were fast/slow growing or if the cross would make fast n heavy growers.. some of the large breeds sort of grow tall but rail thin... and fill out much later. a true giant cochin with NN would be quite an impressive sight! I saw some(giant cochins, not NN) at a poultry show long time ago.. was shocked at how big they were(mostly fluff but still).

nicamarvin has NN large fowl cochin and they are very cute...

Last edited:
Love this baby so much already
1f60d.png
I'm struggling to come up with a name for her that both the fiancé and I like, though.

IMG_1226_zpspaoxcxaf.jpg

didn't answer your question as I did not know if the larges were fast/slow growing or if the cross would make fast n heavy growers..  some of the large breeds sort of grow tall but rail thin...  and fill out much later.    a true giant cochin with NN would be quite an impressive sight!  I saw some(giant cochins, not NN) at a poultry show long time ago.. was shocked at how big they were(mostly fluff but still).

nicamarvin has  NN large fowl cochin and they are very cute...  

Yes I was talking true cochins. My Frizzle cockerel or blue hen would work best as they were the fastest growing and are huge

Do you think crossing with a LF Cochins could help with larger weight on them or would that just slow them down in growing?

I don't have a lot of experience with Cochins so it's hard to say...but....I'm pretty sure my original NN flock included two birds that are Cochin + NN crosses. Pippen came out fully feathered and was the largest chick in the flock for the longest time, convincing me for weeks that she was actually a he. In spite of being FF, she actually has fewer feathers than my other FF birds, especially on her bum.

The other Cochin + NN cross, Duckie, came out with the naked neck and a large muff, plus feathered shanks, and has always been fluffier than the other NNs. She was eventually even heavier than Pippen but even at 23 weeks she only weighed in at 4.2 lbs. Granted, this was also my starter flock and the goals of the breeder did not match my own. She did a great job of developing colored egg layers with single combs and had also been striving to reach SOP with her NNs, but obviously she had a little fun with their genetics too. My goals are to make a good, reliably sustainable group of NN meat birds that also keep me well supplied with colorful eggs...you know...the SUPER CHICKEN, LOL!

Duckie:

I hope that if you decide to create Cochin x NN birds that you will share lots of photos and data. I'd love to see your progress!

This guy has pretty amazing cochin type .. better feathering than several of my pure cochins... good round poof tail ... i ment to get pictures of him today but got busy ... still need to go down and move pens around...

Anyone have any recommendations on barred birds?
Got 2 hens yesterday who are barred ... is it best to cross them to a barred rooster... or can i keep the bars by breeding them with solid colors? Ill start posting some pics of these guys soon.

Looking for some advice on a cockerel please.

I have two pens, one with my hens and their cockerel, who's about 9-10 months old, and the other is my grow out pen which currently houses about 20 3 and 2 month old birds. My hens and he free range all day and I want to start letting the 3 month olds out, but the cockerel attacks them, both the young cockerels and pullets. He has taken to patrolling the circuit around their pen waiting for anyone to come out. I like the cockerel - he's a good protector and food finder for his hens, he is docile and easily handled, and he's a pretty fibro, which I want in my flock, but he's rough on the hens. He was brutal on an older hen who wouldn't submit to him, so much so that I rehomed her. I've been putting this down to clumsy adolescence and raging hormones, but isn't he getting a bit old for this behaviour?

I have some up and coming cockerels among the little 'uns, but I fear that I would be starting the whole adolescence thang over in replacing him with a younger bird. How do you all introduce young birds? When do cockerels settle down usually and what's your general criteria for a good roo (breeding for meat production aside)?

Thank you so much for any insights, experiences or advice!

Ancel

Back
Top Bottom