Naming your farm/homestead?

I went with the only heritage that my husband and I have in common. We went with Black Cat Paddock. Paddock is A fenced field or enclosure. Which with having only 6 acres that we rent, we are more a paddock than anything else atm. Black Cat is for the 3 black cats we have. it seems that we were collecting black cats that the time.

It does not matter, even if we move we will not be changing the name. We are Black Cat Paddock.

I started a bit of a business selling cakes breads, laundry detergent, jams, now some eggs. I called it "Happy Homestead." But I haven't really named our home/farm area.

Every day on my way homme from work I drive past the "Almosta Ranch." It makes me chuckle every time.

"Wineinger Wetlands" is what I named the property when I moved back here. Used to be part of Francisco Farms (road named after the old Farmer.. now gone). My Grandpa Wineinger bought from him for hunting. Wetlands and state land are behind, I graduated from high school up here. I have 4.17 acres (long and d narrow) of the original farm but am at the bottom of the top 40 of the 80 original. Most of it is the transitional woodland edge and all kinds of springs bubble up and percolate down.

I named it that in the beginning as a tribute to my Grandpa and as my desire to preserve the wetland/natural state of the land. Was thinking about "Natural Nook Preserve" or "Nanny's Natural Nook" but decided the last would advertise that I live alone. So I am sticking so far with "Wineinger Wetlands".

Now the yard itself is hardpan clay! But just in the woods a spring bubbles and never freezes. Tree roots mostly grow ABOVE the ground and the soil is very mucky. It is filled with different kinds of bog/wetland type plants like jack in the pulpit, cedar, elderberry, willow, turtles head, and sedges.

The chickens love the wood edge where the elderberries, dogwood, currant, gooseberries, raspberries grow near the closest spring which is now a five foot wide hole with a runoff less than a foot wide meandering down onto neighbors.

I know this is an old post, so forgive me. But.....Your property sounds like my idea of heaven!

It IS my perfect spot too! I love it here. This year the main entry-hole in the spring hole is bubbling like an oversized chicken stock water on super high heat. It is leave an volcano eruption type mound of sand.... my property there is peat and clay at surface. There are also two more spots in a straight line opened up too! That means 3 places supplying the water to there! The lady downhill through woodland isn't happy about the wetness down on hers but the flock loves the area!!! The chickens work the scrub/popular/elderberry/moss just above it but sure seem smart enough not to go past the last 5' edges. They eat the worms, little frog, toad they can find the water level now is forcing up to the last few feet of soil surface. They play in the leaves higher up and the slant all the way up into the field at woods edge.

Maybe someday this season neighbor will clear the stuff that has fallen over that blocks the main run off/flow through her property to the Marsh on back of her permanent neighbors, which works into the state swamp below. Then it won't spread out so much making "All the property 'too wet' and inaccessible with water flowing EVERYWHERE".

It does mean the chickens have to be on the upper part of the yard before property line between my up slant neighbor. We have been friends since childhood and love that we happen to live next to each other now. When I cull my flock down she always gets a bagged chicken or two to freeze for her and the hubby.

I have to be careful about the "chicken litter/refuse" disposal so no one part of the yard above can be concentrated and spoiled or leach anything fresh down into the bog area. I compost everything first and then it can safely be spread out on the upper dry areas or fertilize the plants/flower beds.

My wife named the farm Dapper Duck Farm. The land though is mine. This land is a good land, and we shall call it... This Land.

I don't know about this but I struggle even coming up with names for the chickens themselves, I know, I should be ashamed of myself
th.gif

We started our farm with production red chickens and since expanded to other livestock but I loved my little red feathered friends so much I named our farm red feathers farm. Just make sure you go to your states department of agricultural department and fill out for the name to be officially yours or someone eles can steal it! Best of luck to everyone!

We are still looking for land but have been tossing around names DD has vetoed some of them but 'triple s' got her vote after she found out what it ment (stupid sity slickers) lol as we are looking in an area with lots of oldtimers.

Lol I know this is old, but just for fun, we plan on naming ours...Well, basically my username. Franklin Wolfstead. We have a wolf hybrid and love wolves so we just mixed "wolf" and "homestead". Lol We have 100 acres that we'll be moving out to with some family and friends in a few years.

Back
Top Bottom