NatureWise Feather Fixer pellet- anyone using?

I don't see the benefit of yet another product marketed when there are superior products already on the market. Mixing a high quality starter/grower or game bird ration with layer feed boosts protein for moult. So does fish. Avian Super Pack has the right level of vitamins and minerals for moulting birds. If one doesn't want to use Avian Super Pack in the water, Red Cell or Poultry Cell provides it mixed in feed.
I'm interested in the mite aspect. My VERY well cared-for bantams get re-infested when I stop chemicals (D.E. doesn't do a THING for us!) probably related to a high sparrow population. I can't bathe the girls and totally hose and spray the coop in the winter!

I can't find this feed anywhere I'll have to see if I can have my feed store order it. TSC does not have it.
E-mail Nutrena and they will give you dealers near you. (Give them your Zip code.) While you're e-mailing, perhaps put a bug in their ear to try to get TSC to carry it? (I suggested they offer TSC a special deal to get them to try it, as many flock owners shop there.) If many of us mention Tractor Supply Co. in our e-mails, maybe we'll get a favorable response.

I LOVE IT!!! I have been using it for a month now and my turkey is finally getting his feathers back! just in time for winter! and my babies are feathering faster so hence they wont need as much heat very soon!

I've been using it for about 2 months now. I first got it just to try it out as it was priced competitively with the All Flock I was using. I found out my birds prefer it to All Flock. I'm wondering if it is because of the smaller pellet size. I set up two feeders, and they cleaned out this one before even really putting a dent in the All Flock.

As far as the effect on the flock, I haven't noticed any issues or problems. The birds look good, and are growing feathers back well. I had done a major mite treatment just before I found the first bag, and haven't seen any major re-infestation since (but that is definitely not enough time to make a call on the mite effectiveness) No egg problems either. My flock gets some free range time daily also, so this is not their exclusive feed.

I did notice earlier posts on the calcium percentage. Do you think this could be a problem for the two roos I keep with the flock?

Since the birds like it better, I have been musing on using this long term, and I would like to know what others think of that also. Any input on recommendations for long term use from the Nutrena folks would be appreciated also.

Bottom line, jury is still out, but nothing to report to tell others to stay away.

i dont keep roos so ? dont know! but i think my girls like it a lot better than the all flock too!

E-mail Nutrena and they will give you dealers near you. (Give them your Zip code.) While you're e-mailing, perhaps put a bug in their ear to try to get TSC to carry it? (I suggested they offer TSC a special deal to get them to try it, as many flock owners shop there.) If many of us mention Tractor Supply Co. in our e-mails, maybe we'll get a favorable response.

I went to their site and put in my zip code for places near me and it said TSC and Ace Hardware and neither place has it.

I got a couple bags to try, since the feed store had it on sale, making the price comparable to the layer feed I normally get. Not sure that I'd pay full price for it, especially since it is only a 40 lb bag and normally costs more than 50 lb layer feed. I've only been feeding it for a week, so no real opinion on how well it works, but it sure does have a distinctive smell. (What is that smell? I can't place it...) The ducks LOVE it though... they go on a crazed feeding frenzy with lots of happy quacking.

I'm surprised that so many are finding it so expensive. I paid $13.25 which equates to $16.56/50 lbs. That is only 57 cents more than Layena around here and it has 2 % more protein. I have been using it for 3 weeks & several of my birds have started growing feathers where they have been bare for months from picking. Funny thing is, it is the EEs that are growing the most feathers & they are the ones still laying. My guineas are doing the same & they are still laying. I have no idea if the food is helping our not, but I have enough to go for another month or so. The smell of my FF is the same total plant smell of Purina, but the coop smells of some spice or something in my mind when it comes out the other end. Haven't yet pinpointed it! The jury is still out, but the birds seem to like it.

My only complaint is that all of my girl's egg shells are getting thin while eating this food.
I'm pretty sure I'll be switching off of it, or at least mixing it with something else. They look awesome, but the eggs aren't getting what they need, so something is amiss.
I just located this product at Roxbury farm and garden in Fredericksburg Virginia. Started using it, my birds love it, it does say on the bag to furnish grit and oyster shell free choice.
oyster shell... that'll fix those thin shells.

I've had oyster shell out since they started laying (before the food switch). It is hardly touched!
hu.gif

Back
Top Bottom