NatureWise Feather Fixer pellet- anyone using?

If your pullets are 16 weeks or more it would be OK. Not for younger birds like an All Flock, as I believe it has 3.9% max calcium.
That amount of calcium will reek havok on 16 week old birds kidneys. Their kidneys mature at about the same time they start laying.

Same food. Feather fixer has mite guard. Whether it really does anything, i have no idea.
A person who sounded like a rep for the company mentioned earlier in the thread that the 'mite guard' acts on the birds feces to prevent mites.

No part of the northern fowl mite or common poultry mite's lifecyle takes place in the birds feces or digestive tract - so I would find it hard to believe that anything active in the feces is going to work.

I would bet that 'mite guard' is diatomaceous earth - which studies show isn't particularly good at anything when ingested.

That amount of calcium will reek havok on 16 week old birds kidneys. Their kidneys mature at about the same time they start laying.

Exactly! I mostly free range my birds and supplement with feed. When I had younger birds, I used all flock and supplemented calcium free choice for my layers. When the younger hit "of age" I switched back to feather fixer.

Like I said the DE IN the food, eh, whatever, but the added omega 3 and nutrients really do make for some super plumage. I tried other, less expensive brands (like 2$ less a bag) last winter, and the girls refused it.

I've taken to a feeder with dry pellets of FF and a trough, which my wonderful DH made to my specs, in which I make a wet mash mixed with ACV. THEY LOVE IT! It isn't fermented, just wet. Silly birds.

Exactly! I mostly free range my birds and supplement with feed. When I had younger birds, I used all flock and supplemented calcium free choice for my layers. When the younger hit "of age" I switched back to feather fixer.

Like I said the DE IN the food, eh, whatever, but the added omega 3 and nutrients really do make for some super plumage. I tried other, less expensive brands (like 2$ less a bag) last winter, and the girls refused it.

I've taken to a feeder with dry pellets of FF and a trough, which my wonderful DH made to my specs, in which I make a wet mash mixed with ACV. THEY LOVE IT! It isn't fermented, just wet. Silly birds.

Yes, that's why many layer feeds are recommended for birds 16 weeks and up & they have 4.25% calcium. I love the info on this board. I have to go diaper my chicken now..........

Last edited:
Hi,
Tractor Supply on Route 30 in Latrobe, Pennsylvania just started carrying Naturewise Feather Fixer. It is on sale for 15.00 a 40 lb. bag , reg. 15.99 a bag. I sure hope they continue to carry it. I need to finish the feed I have before I can switch over to it.
Best,
Karen

Mix what you have with some of the new for a slower tummy friendly switchover.
Hi,
 Tractor Supply on Route 30 in Latrobe, Pennsylvania just started carrying Naturewise Feather Fixer. It is on sale for 15.00 a 40 lb. bag , reg. 15.99 a bag. I sure hope they continue to carry it. I need to finish the feed I have before I can switch over to it.
 Best,
 Karen

I just got a bag of this to try. My Buff Orpingtons are going through a ruff molt, and feed store owner said a lot of people in my area use ff. I'm excited to see if it helps my Orpingtons, especially since they're a big, fluffy bird.

Back
Top Bottom