Need a little help choosing a dog

Puffycheeks

Chirping
7 Years
Feb 16, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona
HI! I am hoping beyond all hope that someone here will be able to advise me on what breeds of dogs are potentially the best to have and be trusted around my poultry. I am looking for a dog to be a guardian for my poultry. I have tried to take in several dogs but they have all ended up killing the birds or eating the eggs, that I thought they would protect. I did not get rid of the dogs that did this this as I know it is the carnivore in them that drives this behaviour. Just hoping to find a dog that has less prey drive and more love! By the way, the dogs that didnt work out as poultry protectors are now our house dogs, (9 and counting) LOL. Thanks for any suggestions!

no matter what breed you get, it takes a lot of work to teach a dog to handle stock - especially poultry.
What exactly are you wanting? a LGD to stay outside 24/7? A dog that will deter predators by its presence or one that will actively search and engage with them? How much property do you have? Is it fenced/are you willing to fence? Do you spend lots of time outside or only out long enough to finish some quick chores? All that and more factors into what kind of dog is best for you.

Any mix that is low prey drive can learn to get along with chickens. Most predators will shy away from an area that smells strongly of dog, preferring an easy meal. You will need to train the dog exactly what you want, however, and the dog won't be able to be left alone with the birds until that training is complete which can take anywhere from several weeks to several months.

I have owned German Shepherd dogs for 31 years. I have never had a problem with them hurting my chickens (or any other animal and that includes baby squirrels, parrots, cockatiels, rabbits, pet rats and other animals). I did get all of my German Shepherds as puppies and taught them not to hurt any animals. German Shepherds are extremely intelligent and only want to please. P.S. Not sure if it matters, but all my German Shepherds were and are female.

no matter what breed you get, it takes a lot of work to teach a dog to handle stock - especially poultry.
What exactly are you wanting? a LGD to stay outside 24/7? A dog that will deter predators by its presence or one that will actively search and engage with them? How much property do you have? Is it fenced/are you willing to fence? Do you spend lots of time outside or only out long enough to finish some quick chores? All that and more factors into what kind of dog is best for you.

Any mix that is low prey drive can learn to get along with chickens. Most predators will shy away from an area that smells strongly of dog, preferring an easy meal. You will need to train the dog exactly what you want, however, and the dog won't be able to be left alone with the birds until that training is complete which can take anywhere from several weeks to several months.

X2

YOu need to understand the basic purpose of a specific breed of dog. Matthew Margolis wrote a book years ago about each breed including pros and cons. As humans we have bred a dog for every situation.

Low prey drive is important, just as the above posted posted. LOL I avoid hounds and terriers. THink about retreivers and sheep guard dogs (not the herding dogs). ANd then the dog must be trained. Repeat, the dog must be trained. In my house everyone gets along: dogs, cats, chickens and the mice. Different set of rules outside!

Had a maremma once, loved the dog. ALso take the time to find a reputable breeder.

. ALso take the time to find a reputable breeder.

Great post. The only thing I would change is this - find a RESPONSIBLE breeder. Reputation is good, but doesn't always go hand in hand with good breeding practices. :)

Great post. The only thing I would change is this - find a RESPONSIBLE breeder. Reputation is good, but doesn't always go hand in hand with good breeding practices. :)

To me reputable is a responsible breeder. I liked my brothers dog, he got it from a breeder his SIL knew. I called, she hooked me up with 3 other breeders she recommended including why she recommended them. I drove some 8 hrs to buy a very good dog. SHe made her living off breeding good dogs. Very good dogs.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info. I think I may have been mis-understood about the whole dog thing. I have had dogs for over 45 years from show dogs to 1/2 dead alley strays, so in other words I am not a beginner, but by no means an expert either. Also I am aware of the need for training. I was just picking brains to help me figure out if anyone knew of any specfic breed or mix that was better around poultry that I may not have been aware of. I have a very old Rat Terrier (go figure) who is wonderful with the birds, to the point of actually taking some eggs into her house and she nests with them. (I have always wondered what she would have done if any had hatched !! lol.). I was hoping to be able to find a younger dog to buddy up with her and maybe she could teach the new dog some of her loving ways. lol . I know i may never find another like her, especially that breed!! I am not necessarily looking for a purebred, actually probably not or for any particular breed for that matter. Chances are I will most likely never find another one even close. Anyway, again, thanks for the info.

Back
Top Bottom