Need advice - dark green diarrhea and slight lethargy

crazi4chix

In the Brooder
May 8, 2015
I have reviewed the many BYC posts about chickens with similar symptoms, but none seem to quite match.
We have a 2.5 year Barred Rock who started showing slight lethargy and bright green liquid diarrhea about 8 days ago (not mint green, a dark kelley green - but very green). We isolated immediately, we have wormed her, checked for parasites (clean), given her corid (to rule out cocci), and have been feeding nutri-drench, electrolytes, high protein feeds, grit, and buttermilk. She hasn't worsened, in fact she seems more alert, but the poop is as green as ever, and she can't seem to get enough water (we have been refilling her dish many times daily, always with electrolytes). Any advice would be greatly welcomed. I suppose the one thing I haven't tried is subcutaneous sulmet injection, something I have only ever heard of here. Help! The rest of our large mixed breed flock are all doing great.

Is her belly swollen up...like a water balloon?
Not sure about all the stuff you gave her, that's a lot all at once.
Might be time to put her back on a good chicken ration and plain water.

I'd isolate her in a wire cage within the coop for a day or two....so you can closely monitor her intake of food and water, crop function(checking at night and in morning before providing more feed), and her poops.

I like to use a fold-able wire dog crate (24"L x 18"W x 21"H) with smaller mesh(1x2) on bottom of crate under tray.
Then you can put tray underneath crate to better observe droppings without it being stepped in. If smaller mesh is carefully installed, tray can still be used inside crate.

I agree with AArt about a lot of treatment. I would not worry about it. If she is not acting seriously lethargic, I would let her be. If she is seriously lethargic, I would have moved her away from my other birds.

This might sound a bit heartless, but it is often times better for the health of your flock, not to treat a sick bird, but to cull a sick bird. If something is seriously wrong, it would be putting the bird out of misery.

Sometimes I think people worry too much about their birds and give unnecessary medicine. Give chicken feed and clean water and keep healthy birds is the best advice I ever got.

Back
Top Bottom