Need help building a coop

Roley

Chirping
Jan 19, 2019
Sanford, FL (near Orlando)
Hi, I'm building (well, my husband will be doing the building) for 4-5 chickens and I have no idea what I am doing. I thought about buying something off the rack because it would be easy and hassle free, but the reviews don't seem to justify the cost -unless I spend $500+. I already have my little chicks and will need something very quickly.
Is it possible to build something for under $200? or can anyone recommend a prefab at that price?

I live in FL where it is VERY hot and humid 9 months out of the year and chilly during the 2 months of winter we get where the lowest it gets is about 35*

my questions are as follows, if I am building my own coop:
** Most importantly: How large will the housing need to be for 4-5 chickens? dimensions? Does anyone have plans they would be willing to share? Please help!

* Will I still need an attached run even if I plan on free ranging during the day? Although it would be nice if I have to run out of town for the weekend.

* What are some things I need to pay close attention to? How much ventilation will I need for our hot climate while keeping chicks protected?

* How thick does the roost have to be?

* Dimension suggestions on nesting boxes? How many?

As I mentioned, I am very new to this chicken mama business so please forgive my ignorance. Any and all tips/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

You didn't mention the breeds so I'm giving numbers for standard birds. If you have bantams (or giants) you'll need to scale down/up.

How large will the housing need to be for 4-5 chickens? dimensions? Does anyone have plans they would be willing to share? Please help!

Assuming that 5 is the max you plan on having (i.e. you're restricted to 5 so you can't get more even if you wanted) then 20 sq ft would be the minimum I'd recommend. A little extra space is always preferable if you have room/budget for it.

* Will I still need an attached run even if I plan on free ranging during the day? Although it would be nice if I have to run out of town for the weekend.

A run is good for the reason you mentioned, also to keep them out of the way if you're working on the yard and just don't want them in the way, or for predator protection in case you're having issues with a predator hanging around.

* What are some things I need to pay close attention to? How much ventilation will I need for our hot climate while keeping chicks protected?

As you're in a hotter climate I'd go way over the minimum recommendation (which is 10% of floor space or 1 sq ft bird). Depending on the build site and your wind/rain direction(s) I'd probably have at least 1 wall mostly open, and part of the other walls as well. Your lows aren't cold at all so you really only need enough solid walls to protect them from wind and rain.

If round, I'd go a little over 2" in diameter. If flat, a 2x4 is fine.

12" cubed would be the smallest I'd go. Mine are 15" cubed, so they have some wiggle room in there.

Is it possible to build something for under $200? or can anyone recommend a prefab at that price?

Not possible to buy something nice at that price.

If you dumpster dive, and scrounge construction trash, and look at the "free stuff" Facebook or Craigslist pages you can get most of what you need for free. Spend the 200 on quality hardware cloth.

** Most importantly: How large will the housing need to be for 4-5 chickens? dimensions? Does anyone have plans they would be willing to share? Please help!

For super hot Florida I would STRONGLY recommend something like this: (pic taken from an Australian shed builder)

cedarpet-ranch2_1.jpg

This building is perfect for your area. All roofed for shade, the front three sides screened top to bottom for a breeze. The back three sides walled to block wind and have a sheltered area for perches and nests and feeder.

This would be a coop and run combination. So for 5 hens I would love it at 8 x16.

You could make shutters that cover up more of the open front for your winter or hurricane season.

Especially with your heat, chickens locked into a tiny coop during the day might cook. That is why a predator secure coop/run combination is so nice. Also you won't have to wake up early to let them out.

See photo I posted. You will want to make sure the wire you use is strong enough to hold back charging dogs and clever raccoons. You can use a double layer of wire. One layer of strong wire with larger holes, and cover that with wire with tiny holes (hardware cloth) holes 1/4 " will keep out larger snakes and rats and larger rodents.

In warm weather roost thickness isn't much of a concern. You could use local branches (that are non-toxic), or a ladder, or a 2x2 or a 2x4.

Look at pictures of nest boxes because you can do almost anything for a nest box. In a hot climate I would avoid enclosed plastic or metal (so a litterbox wouldn't be a good choice). I like 3 hen nest boxes since they can be more comfortable when they all decide one nest is the best...at the same time. So about 8 inches deep by 2 feet wide maybe... but I use what I have. A wooden box, a small bookcase, a tote or shelf, all work well. They usually like the nest in shade or shadow, but not always.

Hi, I'm building (well, my husband will be doing the building) for 4-5 chickens and I have no idea what I am doing. I thought about buying something off the rack because it would be easy and hassle free, but the reviews don't seem to justify the cost -unless I spend $500+. I already have my little chicks and will need something very quickly.

I live in FL where it is VERY hot and humid 9 months out of the year and chilly during the 2 months of winter we get where the lowest it gets is about 35*

my questions are as follows, if I am building my own coop:

As I mentioned, I am very new to this chicken mama business so please forgive my ignorance. Any and all tips/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Get THIS!! Even comes with watering system.... and for only Fiddy dollaz. HOLLA!! :celebrate

HERE : https://orlando.craigslist.org/grd/d/orlando-portable-mobile-chicken/6787814988.html

Back
Top Bottom