The hoop coop build

Pics

mikeyv0295

In the Brooder
Feb 21, 2018
Fuquay Varina, North Carolina
Hey guys, just wanted to share with you what I've been working on for our pullets arriving in a couple weeks. I took inspiration from the dutch hollow coop found on this site and ran with it. She uses hers as a tractor, mine will be stationary. Its not finished yet but here is the latest update. Oh and we haven't come up with a name for the coop so any suggestions are welcome!

IMG_7160.jpg
IMG_7161.jpg

Lovely. Beware, chicken wire will keep them in, but won't keep predators out. Very good workmanship. Dimensions?

Hd tarp is going over the cattle panels, the chicken wire only goes up 3 feet as a back up.
All of the rest of the open sections on the front and back are 1/2" hardware cloth (its just hard to see). 8x8 inside dimension

Good. My first coop was an 8 x 8 CP with a loft in the back section. My birds LOVED that coop, and I continue to use it as a brooder/grow out coop. When I let the birds out of their big coop/run, they all beat feet to the CP, and love to visit it. When there are cockerels or chicks in there, the roo and his hens go "visiting" first thing every morning!

So easy to manage with bare soil DL!!!

Very, very nice workmanship, congratulations!

Lazy Gardener is right, chicken wire won't protect your birds from predators.

Don't worry about it though, no harm done, leave that on, and just go over it with another layer of half inch hardware cloth.

A 50 foot by 4 foot roll is $61 with free instore pick up at Walmart, or about the same price with free delivery on Amazon.

Looks like you understand you'll need an wire skirt around it too. Most people wouldn't use chicken wire for that, not strong enough and will rust out faster than thicker wire. They usually recommend 1"x1" welded wire for the best in ground longevity.

I used half inch hardware cloth, zip tied to cattle panels as the anti-dig mats on my tractor.
20180201_073443.jpg
You can see the mats in this photo.

I don't know if you get snow where you are, but if you do, put a center beam down the middle of the hoop supported at both ends, to prevent snow from bending your hoop and depressing the shape of your hoop arch.

Oh, one other thing, if you get cold weather, and if it's even possible, put the door end facing north, and leave the other end open wire, facing south.

Zip tie some 8 foot 1x4's on 12 inch centers, cantilevered 3 feet over the south, open end, creating a 3 foot tarp covered eave, that will keep out any blowing rain in the winter, allow in winter sunshine, and give you good ventilation.

Probably too late for that idea though, but either way, you've got a great coop!

You've way more skill than me, I'm impressed!

Last edited:
Good. My first coop was an 8 x 8 CP with a loft in the back section. My birds LOVED that coop, and I continue to use it as a brooder/grow out coop. When I let the birds out of their big coop/run, they all beat feet to the CP, and love to visit it. When there are cockerels or chicks in there, the roo and his hens go "visiting" first thing every morning!

So easy to manage with bare soil DL!!!
Thats awesome, I plan to do the DL in this coop. The sides I built total around 12.5"s so hopefully thats enough. We'll have 4-5 laying hens and they'll be able to free range quite a bit during the day.

Very, very nice workmanship, congratulations!

Lazy Gardener is right, chicken wire won't protect your birds from predators.

Don't worry about it though, no harm done, leave that on, and just go over it with another layer of half inch hardware cloth.

A 50 foot by 4 foot roll is $61 with free instore pick up at Walmart, or about the same price with free delivery on Amazon.

Looks like you understand you'll need an wire skirt around it too. Most people wouldn't use chicken wire for that, not strong enough and will rust out faster than thicker wire. They usually recommend 1"x1" welded wire for the best in ground longevity.

I used half inch hardware cloth, zip tied to cattle panels as the anti-dig mats on my tractor.
View attachment 1280277 You can see the mats in this photo.

I don't know if you get snow where you are, but if you do, put a center beam down the middle of the hoop supported at both ends, to prevent snow from bending your hoop and depressing the shape of your hoop arch.

You've way more skill than me, I'm impressed!

Thanks! Yea I kinda realized that the chicken wire wasn't the strongest after it was up and I had done some researching. Ideally I would love the whole hoop top to be hardware cloth but I don't have the time or energy to change it now. I guess at this point ill take the risk. We also have 2 dogs and a 6ft privacy fence around our property. Ive never seen any coons around but we definitely have opossum. Found a fat one on our stoop eating the cats food a week ago.

Back
Top Bottom