Deep litter method in shed coop/poop boards?

Was thinking about this as I sifted the boards this morning @DobieLover . If the Stall Dry is like cat litter does that mean the granules are rather larger than the PDZ?
They are. I only bought one bag because I didn't know what it would look like or how it would perform. I will be getting more.
I still think the used dried coffee grounds is the best from a dust perspective and I would switch back to that if it ever came available again.

That fries me! I was paying $15 for a 25# bag at Tractor SC and was charged $30 for a 40# bag the last time I bought from Agway.
Bummer. It was up to about $18 in the past couple years, when everything went up. Not sure why this was marked down, but the feed I buy went down too.

I still think the used dried coffee grounds is the best from a dust perspective and I would switch back to that if it ever came available again.
If I could find a way to dry the bags of coffee grounds I get from Starbucks, would they work? Starbucks gives them away in their "grounds for gardeners" bucket.

If I could find a way to dry the bags of coffee grounds I get from Starbucks, would they work? Starbucks gives them away in their "grounds for gardeners" bucket.
I did that last year. Thought everything was dry and put it into a cat litter bucket. Opened the bucket a few days later to take out some and there was moisture condensed all over the upper part of the bucket and lid and mold had already started to grow on the surface. It likely needs to be oven baked and after that much effort, I'm out. I'll just suck it up and buy the PDZ or Stall Dry.

Once every three to four years. Not because it is messy but I want that stuff on the garden. I do use the stuff from the compost pile more often, usually two or three times a year when I plant stuff. I store completed compost in feed bags in the dry.

I use pine wood shavings from Tractor Supply. I put it two to three inches thick and top it off as needed. It does not break down (rot) in the coop but their scratching will turn it to powder so I have to occasionally top it off. They scratch around my feeder looking for spilled feed so they can pile it up on the far walls. I occasionally level it back out.
Exactly how I do it in the PNW, never go with out a poop board under the roasts, that is gold for the garden, once it ages.

For those with poop boards. What are you coating the boards with prior to installing? I was going to paint the plywood but I’m thinking about a nice layer of clear varnish or clear epoxy.

Back
Top Bottom