Opinion on this coop design

Quail_

Chirping
Apr 8, 2023
I plan on building my own coop since my current one is just crap. I found this one on esey but i would like some opinions on it. I wont be building the run attachment to it since i already have one and the coop will technically be inside of their run.

If there are suggestions about adding something more too it or removing please feel to give suggestions!
SmartSelect_20240308_204816_Chrome.jpg

SmartSelect_20240308_204825_Chrome.jpg

Only thing i wont be adding is the feeder things and the waterer! I already have those in my coop.
SmartSelect_20240308_204833_Chrome.jpg

SmartSelect_20240308_204839_Chrome.jpg

Not adding the chandelier unfortunately 🤣.

If you have any coop ideas that have worked for you please feel free to share them! I havent bought anything yet and im still looking. But what this coop is like is something im looking for in a coop, it also needs to hold atleast 6+ chickens and weather proof for the winter.

I did add the link to the etsy site but idk if it worked. But the person who built it or designed it is called BeeJewledCoopDesign
[LINK TO COOP|https://www.etsy.com/listing/145614...x9xNTfZG_ZI8YW3GqqZK8Yn562Of7vOhoCTA8QAvD_BwE]

So it's the plans not the actual coop.

They don't say if it is 4x6 or 4x8. Even at 4x6 it will be big enough for 6 birds. I will guess that it's 4x6 going off the nest boxes in their picture where you can see birds in nests.

It's a decent design in my opinion. I do find trying to tend things in a 4' width a bit confining for using any kind of scoop with a handle. Something to think about.

So it's the plans not the actual coop.

They don't say if it is 4x6 or 4x8. Even at 4x6 it will be big enough for 6 birds. I will guess that it's 4x6 going off the nest boxes in their picture where you can see birds in nests.

It's a decent design in my opinion. I do find trying to tend things in a 4' width a bit confining for using any kind of scoop with a handle. Something to think about.
Thank you! If i get the plans and its a bit confined i can always extend it and make it work for me.

Looking at the coop you posted again...

How handy with tools are you? Do you have a really good helper who is good with tools?

The ventilation is right at roost height. That's good in summer but not so good in winter. There may need to be modifications depending on where you live.

Things to think about.

Including a link to the articles here on BYC for you. There are many incredible articles on there worth looking into. My own coop was inspired by one I found there.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/

I'd think about adding ventilation above the human door, with that nice overhang, and maybe remove it from one of the sides, depending on your wind directions OR extend the overhang on the sides to provide more protection to those vents. Otherwise it looks fine? I'd also turn one bank of nests into storage, you don't need all those nests for 6 or even 8 birds.

I'm no chicken coop expert...But it appears the windows for venting are right where they would perch. My understanding is you want the venting to be above their bodies and head by a little bit.
Depends on their wind direction, but that's part of the reason I suggested extending the overhang, to help buffer winds through those openings. I have my top roost directly between 2 windows and the birds fight over the window spots.

Back
Top Bottom